Pages

Thursday, June 04, 2009

open spaces

Yesterday we had a full day of

o p e n

s p a c e s.

Wide open spaces. And tractors. And trucks. And forklifts. And mowers.
oh my.

May - 2009 019
May - 2009 033
May - 2009 046 copy
May - 2009 045
May - 2009 034
May - 2009 097
May - 2009 080
May - 2009 063
May - 2009 059
May - 2009 088
May - 2009 101
May - 2009 041
May - 2009 028 copy
Patrick's dad, farmer David, called me early yesterday morning and invited Henry to come ride on his tractor. Since he has many of them, I will refer to this one as his honkin' tractor (the-very-technical-farmer-term). He told me it would be his last day cultivating with his honkin' tractor. This particular tractor is special not only because of its size, but also because it has a "buddy seat" for Henry so he can safely ride along. As far as tractors go, William likes to look, but not touch and absolutely not ride.
Knowing that Henry would love to spend the morning farming with his grandpa coupled with the promise of a beautiful day outdoors, I accepted his offer and made plans to meet him near a field in the country. I then had the task of getting myself and both boys dressed and ready in less than thirty minutes. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that after nineteen months with two children, it is still an exhausting undertaking to get ready and out the door. But we made it.
We met farmer David and Henry anxiously jumped out of the van and ran to meet him. I'm learning that unfortunately life on the farm is just like life in the city; pretty unpredictable. Honkin' tractor did not start.
Our morning plans quickly turned into a full day of farm work. There were honkin' tractors' batteries to charge, fields to finish, roads to cross, mower blades to sharpen, and forklifts to drive. At one point I said to Henry, "you are sure working hard" and he looked at me like, DUH, and said, "yeah, I'm a farmer". Oh, of course. How could I forget?
It was a perfect day.
Both boys loved being with their grandpa and working on his farm. There is something so peaceful and calm about the quiet of the country. And something so beautiful about the rolling fields and open spaces. Right now the crops are just starting to come up and the dark earth is covered with a blanket of seemingly endless green. It's beautiful.

{please forgive me for posting some of these pictures in the large format. I know it's huge, I know it's honkin', I know it's obnoxious. I just really wanted to try it. please forgive me!}

6 comments:

Amy said...

Looks like such a fun day! The picture of William walking close to the barn is my favorite. I love the moment you captured! ~Amy

Sara said...

What a fun day! I love the part where Henry was like, "yeah, I'm a farmer." Too cute.

I also love the one of William - just the contrast of the colors is so pretty. And I like the large ones, too! :-)

Love you guys!

Sara

Erica said...

Oh My Goodness!! Christina, these pictures are amazing. I love every one of them! And the large format is neat. You and Sara will have to tell me how you do that (again).

I'm glad you guys had a good time at the farm. It sounds like it was the perfect way to spend the day especially for farmer Henry. :-)

Love you!
Erica

Ruth said...

I love the all the pictures, too! Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Love, Ruth

Anonymous said...

You and Sara are becoming pros! These pictures are phenomenal! I too like the one of Willian walking by the barn. The perspective is very nice, but they are all great.
love ya,
Sandi

Authentic and Free said...

What great pictures of the boys! Henry is a natural; I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Henry carries on the Vance farming tradition. William (although a little tentative) is definitely all boy on the farm! What beautiful ways you have found to capture such memorable pictures of these two precious boys. Great job!! Love, Mom