Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

it's funny here

Lately my life has felt like it's set to the tune of many a country-western song.
Like when I look out the window,
May - 2010 460
I hear Tim McGraw singing, "I'm gonna live where the green grass grows, watch my corn pop up in rows..."
Or,
May - 2010 299
Joe Diffie sing, "In John Deere green, on a hot summer night, he wrote Billy-Bob loves Charlene in letters 3 foot high, and the whole town said he should have used red but it looked good to Charlene..."

Sometimes I feel like I've left the country and arrived in this new and unusual place. A most unexpected place.
We burn our garbage in a barrel out back.
{Not all of it. Not the recyclables or the hazardous stuff. Or some other stuff too.}
You can laugh.
It's super weird. I'm still trying to figure all of this out. 
May - 2010 182
And then tonight, Patrick asked if we got any mail today. I stopped for a minute and then realized I don't even check anymore. The mailbox is across the street and I honestly just forget.
May - 2010 457
I still haven't gotten into a habit of checking since we moved here. Then it hit me. I asked, "does the mail man drive a funny little car?" Patrick laughed and said yes. I remembered a beat up old car pausing for a moment in front of the house this afternoon and I remember pausing myself and wondering why. It wasn't until Patrick asked that I realized that this is our mailman. According to Patrick, his name is Darrell and he's been the mailman here for years. He drives his own beat up little car and wears regular civilian clothes.

People out here are always asking me how I like life "out here in the country". I think it's so funny. I wonder when this will feel like normal to me. Sometimes, on good days, I feel like a vacationer. Like someone totally out of my element, but so much so that it's enjoyable.


We're adjusting. I hope you'll come and visit. I hope I haven't scared you so much that you won't. I know that garbage thing is totally weird.

7 comments:

The Studs... said...

Reading your blog makes me miss living in the country so much! All the things that seem different to you seem like home to me. You will learn to love it. Country living is wonderful, but different. Good Luck & Enjoy!

jalison said...

Christina: Your writing style is wonderful! I could read it all the live-long day. Your topics are beautiful and the way you keep track of your new adventures are priceless. With time your new environment will feel like "home". Just you wait & see. I love you. Mom

Erica said...

I needed this post tonight. Too funny about Darrell and his own little beat up car...I need your new address, BTW :-)
We can't wait to visit! And the corn should be knee high when we do!

Love you!
Erica

Ruth said...

I remember my mom burning our trash in a can in the backyard. In fact, one time I was so interested in the process, I sat down to watch and not realizing, I sat on an ant hill! Ouch! The ants were not happy and neither was I! :0) I love your updates and your pictures! Love, Ruth

Rachel said...

Christina, Life in the country sounds great! Just think, you can burn your trash and not have to drive it somewhere (at least some of it!) Your porch looks so inviting... can I come over for coffee soon? You let me know when you're ready for me. :) I miss you and Holly! We'll definitely have some crazy country adventures. :p

Anonymous said...

Like Ruth, I remember the trash burning can in the back yard so that doesn't seem super weird to me. I love the country song references. Does this mean you will be taking up line dancing soon?
love ya,
Sandi

Sally said...

I am enjoying reading about your new place and adventures. I also noticed that I know NONE of those country songs.