Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

back to school celebration


We now have one week of school under our belts. The boys started last Tuesday. Before their first day we celebrated with a back-to-school ice cream social. It was actually one of the lingering things on our Summer List that we still hadn't crossed off. On Sunday afternoon I sent a mass text message to all of the neighborhood moms and invited them to come with families that night to celebrate. Instead of a farewell summer, we celebrated yay! school. Honestly, I wasn't feeling it but ice cream always helps. Celebrating always helps.

 

We are so blessed to live right where we do. I have always dreamed of a neighborhood for our boys where friends live and where there is always someone nearby to play and of casual friends and get-togethers for us. I knew that the kids would all be out playing together anyway so a last minute call for ice-cream would work out just fine; there's no need for advance planning. One of my favorite parts of this night was taking each child's picture. In my heart I imagined next year and the year after that. I wondered if they would still come to make an ice-cream sundae and prayed that they will still be friends. Putting down roots is a beautiful thing. I feel hopeful for this school year ahead.  

2 comments:

Erica said...

Such a fun idea!! I love seeing the montage of all of the kids with the chalkboard. And I do hope it's a tradition, and we can see these kids grow up together each year. Ben still talks about playing with all of them this summer. Such a special neighborhood!

Sara said...

What a fun idea and tradition! Love your sweet neighborhood and your hospitality and thoughtfulness! So fun.