Pages

Monday, June 09, 2008

The Diaper(less) Diaries

I feel like I could create a separate blog for this subject because I have so many thoughts on a daily basis and my days seem to be revolving around it. I'll resist however, because I know (or at least I hope) that in a few months it will be a normal, commonplace part of life.



I've always been a bit anxious about potty training and skeptical about my diaper dependent child learning to wear underwear. I starting dreading the task around 18 months when at Henry's well-baby visit his doctor kindly told us that we could introduce the potty. Sound advice? Maybe. A little over-ambitious and untimely? Yes! I've heard and read many different theories and ideas about how one can successfully teach her child to use the potty. Equipped with this knowledge I could still only picture a naked toddler running around the house leaving messes equal to those of an untrained puppy. Everywhere. I dreaded it. When other people's children had potty success I cheered, yet every time I was awed and amazed that it was even possible.



Inspired by the success that Sara and Sally have had with potty training their boys in recent weeks, coupled with the fact that we were homebound (due to having only one car when the transmission broke in Patrick's car) I decided it was time to tackle this monster I've feared since entering parenthood. Last Tuesday (6.3.08) was Henry's first diaper free day. That morning I changed his diaper and told him about the fabulous Spiderman underwear he was going to wear that day. He wasn't excited or upset, I was pleased with his neutral reaction. Again, I've feared the worst. I explained that since he was such a big boy, wearing such big boy underwear he would need to tell me when he needed to go. Off he went. A few first thoughts: his shorts seem a lot saggier, maybe I should have gotten the 4T's instead. Do they look wet? I wonder if he has to go yet?

We made it through that first day and I bravely put underwear on him again Wednesday morning. We've now made it through seven days. By no means are we completely there. I just have committed to this and don't want to turn back now. He had accidents at least once a day for the first few days and he still isn't telling me when he has to go, I have to ask him after a few hours or tell him to go (if we're getting ready to leave the house). He wears a pull-up for his naps and at bedtime; sometimes those are dry in the morning or after his nap and sometimes not. He is now able to do everything all by himself; he uses the step stool to turn on the light then he moves it close to the potty and uses it to get onto the potty by himself. He then wipes and is able to get off of the potty by himself and moves the stool over to the sink to wash his hands. I'm hugely proud of him and he is really proud of himself. He loves the book "My Baby Brother is a Little Monster"; there is a part where the baby needs his diaper changed and Big Bird asks why he doesn't just use the potty. The big brother says that babies are too little to use the potty and that's why babies wear diapers. Last night Patrick was reading that book to him before bed and when he read that Henry stopped him and said, "Daddy, I don't wear diapers". I think he's very proud.

As I mentioned, we're still working on it and our week hasn't been without it's share of ups and downs. Having a child that is learning to use the potty requires much more planning ahead and thinking things through. Before we leave the house to go anywhere I need to make sure that Henry goes potty, and that I have a change of clothes with me. Once I arrive somewhere I immediately scope out the bathroom just in case we need to make a run for it.

A few notes from the first week:
  • On Wednesday I thought we were doing so well, Henry was dry all morning and after lunch I was getting him ready to play outside in his little pool. I asked him to take his Crocs off (so that I could help him get his swimming suit on) and he said, "Why? Because there's pee in them." I looked at him and realized that his shorts were wet. We must have just missed it. I had to laugh though. I'm still not sure if he knows before he goes or if he realizes just as it's happening.
  • Henry and William spent the day with Patrick's mom and dad (and some cousins) on Friday, and he wore underwear there and had no accidents all day! His mom was very helpful in working with him, but I was thrilled that he did so well away from me and from home all day.
  • Friday night we went to Patrick's nephew's (Isaac and Caleb) baseball game with Henry in his underwear. After we'd been there for awhile I asked him if he wanted to go potty and he said "yes". I had a moment of panic as I glanced towards the blue Porto-potty at the other end of the field, but hand-in-hand he and I bravely trudged towards it. He was fascinated by the whole thing, especially having to wait in line to use the bathroom. Once inside I said lots of "don't touch that", "don't look at that" and "don't move". With several layers of toilet paper lining the entire seat he sat down and went potty. I was proud of him but more excited to get out of there. I felt like that was a good initiation into potty training. If we could brave that together, I think we'll make it through the next few weeks.
  • Saturday we were in a public restroom together, again Henry was fascinated by the whole scene. He had a million questions. The box next to the toilet, "what's this?", pointing to the woman's feet in the stall next to us, "what's that?", and then it happened, a loud burst of gas explodes from the stall next to us, "what was that noise mommy?" It all happened so fast: while I was dying from embarrassment and trying very hard not to burst out laughing the woman in the stall started to laugh and I apologized. She said she had been there too with her little ones and was very understanding of it all. I made sure we stayed in the stall until she left the bathroom.

It has been an eventful week. I think some progress has been made. I'm still waiting for those magical words, "I have to go". Those four words will be so thrilling to hear. Until then I think we need to buy a few more pairs of underwear and shorts and I'm happy to not be changing as many diapers as before. Buying less will be wonderful, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It sounds to me like you have a potty trained boy.
Nathan had a couple of accidents that made him cry and after that, he seemed to know better when he has to go. Two weeks or so later, and he's perfect at predicting it- so much so that if we ask him if he has to go when he doesn't, he says "No!" quite strongly to us. He will go before outings though if I want him to (usually).
Don't be scared of accidents; let him have a couple if you're home for a day and see how it affects him. I just eventually had to stop asking Nathan if he had to go all the time, and start actually trusting him to learn that sensation, despite the "risk" of accidents. One thing the book I used said was to not be mad when he has accidents, but show disapproval- "Oh, no, we don't wet our pants. Big boys don't wet their pants. Are you a big boy?" "Yes" "Then you need to go in the potty. I am concerned about your cleanliness. I want you to be clean and dry, so that means going in the potty." (I know that line sounds weird, but when I said to Nathan, "I'm concerned about your cleanliness" He asked me, "Why are you concerned, Mommy?" and he seemed to understand that it was serious- but he also could tell I wasn't mad at him.)
When he does have an accident, rush him to the potty like you'd do if he had to go really bad- teaching him that he has to run there when he has to go, and practicing it.
Keep us posted :)
Sally

Anonymous said...

You go Christina....I was in tears about the part when he said, "what's that noise, mommy?" that is ridiculously funny!!!! keep up the good work, beleive me, i know it's hard...:)

Amber

Erica said...

I AM TERRIFIED of potty training! Rudy still has accidents (or "on purposes") in the mud room. I mean if I can't even train a little dog, how can I teach Ben in a couple of years? I'm glad to get all of this advice (and to have you to help me!)
I think you and Henry are doing a great job. It's true if you guys can brave a port-o-potty, you can do anything! I think it's wonderful that he is wearing underwear during the days. Yay for Henry! How embarrassing for that woman in the stall. Ha ha! I can't believe you didn't laugh!
I'm sure you'll hear those four magic words very soon!
Love,
Erica

Unknown said...

I just have to comment on the stall story! I am laughing so hard I am crying..I'm sure people around me are wondering what is going on! Too funny! Henry is doing great! I so know your fears and while we've been diaperless since Feb. sometimes I still worry. But before you know it, it's all part of the routine! GREAT JOB!