Pages

Thursday, October 08, 2009

The pumpkin patch

Last week Henry's class took their first field trip. They went to the pumpkin patch. It was the perfect fall morning. Sunny and cool, but not rainy or freezing cold. It was Henry's first field trip and my first as a mom. I definitely proved to be a newbie.
See this tractor pulling away?
September - 2009 630
Well, I'm not on it. And I'm the only mom who's not on it. Ok, there was one other mom who stayed behind, but she meant to stay behind, she was feeding her newborn baby. I was caught up in the moment of Henry's first field trip and my joy at being able to be there with him and wanted to capture his first time on a hay rack ride on his first field trip,
September - 2009 626
and his first time on a hayrack ride on his first field trip with all of his friends from school,
September - 2009 625
and while I was so busy capturing these moments, the other moms were busy climbing on board the hay rack and snuggling with their preschooler. Still clicking away, I barely noticed the tractor starting to lurch forward. And before I could jump on or scream "wait for me!",
September - 2009 628
they were gone.
I missed the hay rack ride and I missed the actual pumpkin patch where the pumpkins grow and the picking of the individual pumpkins. But I did get lots of pictures of the back of the tractor as it drove away. Ha! The good news is that Henry was completely unphased. I worried as I waited in the pumpkin barn that he would feel abandoned. He seemed to not even notice that I wasn't there as he proudly plopped his pumpkin in my lap when they returned. Maybe that was more sad? No, I was glad.
Each child got to choose and pluck his or her very own pumpkin from the vine to bring home. They also watched a movie in the pumpkin barn while sitting on straw bales about how pumpkins grow all while eating freshly popped popcorn.
September - 2009 614
September - 2009 610
September - 2009 608
September - 2009 600
There was also a play area with hay bales the children could climb and different bikes and tricycles for riding.
September - 2009 664
At the end of the visit before everyone left, we took a class picture, including both Miss. Jill and Miss. Marcia. I love how small and sweet all of the children are.
September - 2009 651
And these of Henry and his friend Logan. They're up to something.
September - 2009 653
September - 2009 654

3 comments:

Sara said...

I didn't see this before I saw you yesterday!

OK, that was hilarious. How funny they pulled away without you (or that you forgot to get on!). And the pics are adorable. What a fun field trip!

Great seeing you guys yesterday. Love you!

Unknown said...

This was at Rader's correct? I love the Rader's they are so nice! I remember being out there for many a bonfire in high school and love what they have done with their farm. Cute pics! Looks like you all had a blast...even if not everyone made it on the hayrack ride :)

Erica said...

These pictures make me want to drink cider and eat freshly picked apples! And pick a pumpkin! :-) Such a gorgeous fall day,and I love how you've captured the colors and the sweet smiling faces. Like I said in my email, the pictures of the wagon pulling away are so pretty that it was worth missing the ride!

It looks like Henry had such a fun day with his friends. I would love to know what he and Logan were laughing and smiling about. So sweet. That's the best thing a mother can see!

Love you!
Erica