Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Invincible summer

This is a post I've had in draft mode since June 7! I drafted it just weeks after the start of Henry's summer break from preschool. I think I never posted it because I wasn't quite pleased with the pictures and wanted to add more.

Clearly, it's not summer any more. I saw on the local news just a few nights ago that out of the 28 days we'd had in October, we'd had 18 days of measurable rainfall. It feels like this rain might never end and I wake eager every morning hoping to see the sun, even just a splinter of sun breaking through the clouds. Just yesterday when it felt like the gloominess might never end, I remembered this quote:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." -Albert Camus
Here are a few snapshots from our early days of summer. If this wasn't good enough for me to share in June, it's sure looking really good to me now.
Invincible summer.


This week we welcomed J u n e and welcomed summer. There was lots of
s u n s h i n e
so we spent most of our days outside playing.

Our week was filled with:
riding bikes, sometimes just around the block and other times to the bakery for a huge, iced s u g a r c o o k i e.
88 cent ice-cream c o n e s at Baskin Robbins (also just a bike ride away).
sliding, swinging, climbing, dangling and just-plain playing at the p a r k.
splashing in the b l u e-plastic kiddie pool.
running through the sprinkler.
f a r m i n g for a day.
sniffing freshly bloomed peonies.
eating picnic lunches o u t s i d e on the deck.
making sand castles and digging in the d i r t.
grilling cheeseburgers.
playing with friends.
mowing g r a s s.
popsicles
on the front porch s w i n g.

peonies
nature soup
new snack
new sand


totally drenched

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so glad you decided to post this! I love it! It's nice to look back on summer on this dreary, wet, cool day. These are great pics and a wonderful snapshot of summer!

Love you guys!

Sara

Erica said...

I can almost feel the hot summer sun! I'm so glad you posted this, and the pictures are great. It makes me miss summer already, and it's not even winter yet.....

My favorite thing I discovered when I visited last time was that YOU ride a bike with a wagon hitched to the back. LOVE IT! Summer isn't the same without bike rides, although I've barely been on one since our sweet summer days of childhood. You're creating such special memories for your boys with all of your summer neighborhood adventures. Those are really the best.

Here's to a warm, sunny winter!!
Love you,
Erica