Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

poolside party

If there is one homeowners wish I could have granted it would be the installation of a backyard pool. An in-ground pool surrounded by plush, chaise style lounge chairs and tables with bright red umbrellas. A shallow end and a deep with a diving board, for me to practice my cannon balls. The pool boy in a Speedo serving pina coladas is optional. {Sweetie, I'm kidding. That would be you of course!}

I've always dreamed of lounging and playing with my boys in our very own backyard pool and of having pool parties in the summer, inviting friends over and staying up late to swim in the moonlight. But for now, that's a dream and a field of soy beans is my backyard. So we decided to have a pool party at the Farmer City swimming pool instead to celebrate Henry's birthday with his friends.
August - 2010 797
I have to give Erica all of the credit for this idea. When I told her we were thinking about renting the Farmer City pool for Henry's birthday party, she suggested a popsicle party; serving popsicles and juice boxes in lieu of cakes and cupcakes. I immediately loved it and decided to keep things simple and totally summer-evening-at-the-pool relaxed.
August - 2010 852
August - 2010 705
August - 2010 707
And so at 6:00 in the evening on Friday, August 6, the pool was all ours; shallow end and deep, chaise lounge chairs and diving board, lifeguards and all. It was the closest thing to having our own backyard pool bash and I, for one, loved every minute.
August - 2010 642
August - 2010 644
August - 2010 744
August - 2010 760
August - 2010 736
diving board
August - 2010 769
swimming
August - 2010 729
August - 2010 733
August - 2010 785
August - 2010 286
party decor
popsicles
August - 2010 694
August - 2010 851
August - 2010 782
August - 2010 787
August - 2010 841
August - 2010 777
August - 2010 641
August - 2010 838
The parents sat in chairs and ate Dilly Bars and talked about our plans to enjoy these last sweet days of summer while we watched the boys jump and dive and cannon ball into the deep end. My boys took their first daring jumps off the diving board and kicked and splashed around in the kiddie pool. Popsicle juice dripped from little chins, rootbeer bottles clinked, and Henry opened his gifts. The night ended with a few last jumps and dives and swims while the sun set behind us.

It wasn't our own backyard pool, but it definitely was the next best thing.

3 comments:

jalison said...

What a wonderful party! And Christina, it was anything but simple! OMGsh, you made it look spectacular. You are so talented at giving parties; very gifted. The boys ALL look like they had the very best time! What a grand idea. And you're right, it is the next best thing to having your own pool and you don't have to take care of it! Thanks for sharing so many detailed pictures. Love, Mom

Erica said...

ADORABLE AS EVER! What a perfect party. That pool is so cute, and I love the yellow umbrellas. You are a wonderful party planner--I love all of the details. You took a simple idea and made it picture perfect and martha stewart-y :-) I wish we could have been there, and I think next summer the FC pool must be rented again for a night of fun!

Love you!
Erica

Sara said...

This looks SO perfect! I really, really wish we could've been there. And I agree - the details are adorable - look at those canvas totes (and I don't care where they're from, they are so cute! :-)).

I agree with Erica - I think a sequel is in order next summer!

Love you guys,

SAra