Pages

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Henry's First Fair






Today we took Henry to the McLean County Fair. It was his and my first Central Illinois fair experience. Henry got to see and pet cows, sheep, pigs and horses. He also got to watch lots of fair rides and was intrigued with the different games and booths. Of everything he was most fascinated by the tractors/other farm equipment on display, and as you can see, he loved sitting in the tractors and "driving" them. It was really fun to take him. Definitely much more fun than Patrick and I would have had alone! Also, we shared an ice-cream cone and Patrick and I had a lemon shake-up. It was yummy...my first one! Does anyone know what exactly is a lemon shake-up and can I make one at home?

3 comments:

Holly said...

How much fun! Yes! We used to make Lemon Shake Ups at the beach after we had them at a fair. Here is the recipe:

1/2 lemon
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 c. crushed ice

Thoroughly juice the lemon half and cut into quarters. Put both fruit and juice into a 16 ounce cup. Add the sugar, water, and crushed ice. Shake drink by fitting two plastic cups together. Add very cold water to fill glass, then enjoy.

You may need to adjust the amount of lemon/sugar to taste. The only bad part... it has TONS of sugar! That's why we love it though. :)(We have some tupperware cups that fit together well, I can give you a set if you don't have anything that fit together to shake it).

Sally said...

I just got a lemonade at the farmer's market this past Friday, and he put 1-1/2 lemons, 1/4 c. sugar, and then filled up the rest of the big styrofoam cup (the size of at least a venti at starbucks) with ice, then water, and shook it up. It was yummy! (I would estimate about a cup of ice and another 3/4 cup of water maybe)- so it sounds like Holly's right on...
Tim and I both loved the pictures of you guys at the farm fair- Henry is so cute (and looks so old and big to me) in the picture on the tractor.

Christina said...

The SUGAR!! No wonder why I loved it :-) I really want to try this..a yummy summer treat...thanks for the tips and recipe! Holly, it's like our Linkins lemony yum-yum!!