Pages

Monday, July 16, 2007

A Wonderful Word

Henry has been on quite the "no" kick lately. Even when he means "yes", often he will still say "NO". Hearing this word repeatedly throughout the day has been wearing on me a bit. I have been trying to say lots of yes's and keep my no's to a minimum to encourage him to respond more positively, too. There are days though that I feel like if I hear him say the word "no" one more time I will go crazy! Well....yesterday a new little wonderful word entered his vocabulary. It's "ok". He has been responding "ok" to things now when I ask him. It is the most wonderful sound! He has even had a really cooperative attitude to go along with it. For example, today I told him we were going upstairs to get ready for his nap and he could pick out one book to bring along with us. He looked at me and responded, "ok" and then ran to get the book and came right upstairs! I know it seems like no great feat, but I think it's so great. It's a feat for us and our sweet, spirited boy. I know there will still be "no's", but I love that he also has "ok" to mix in.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I can understand the feeling of being so sick of "no." Try to remember that you want him to have a strong no so people don't just talk him into everything when he's older and has to stand up to others! I also taught Nathan (this is usually when he's fussing about something) that when Mommy says that he needs to do something, he needs to say "ok mommy." He doesn't totally understand the doing part yet (like not whining, or picking up something, etc.), but even as he's upset and crying he'll say "ok mommy!" They really do want to please us. I find it's useful to give him a better option (like saying "I'm mad" instead of crying or something like that). This will probably be more useful when they're older!