Pages

Monday, February 11, 2008

Mother's Love Day

Today all the mom's were invited to Henry's school for a special "Mother's Love Day" in honor of Valentine's Day. His morning usually ends at 11:45, but today we were invited to come at 11:15 for some special festivities. When we arrived all of the children in his class were lined up each one sitting on a carpet square. I loved the moment when I walked into the room and saw Henry; his face just beamed. The mom's sat across the room from their children and got ready to listen to some special songs they'd been practicing for us. Lots of children burst into tears when their moms walked in - I think seeing them but not being able to go right home with them was tough. Henry did really well - he did get up from his carpet square while we were waiting to get things started and came over and gave me a big hug and said "I love you". My heart totally melted. Then came my favorite part, the singing. The children sang a few songs they'd been practicing. Some sort of looked around the room, some watched the teachers and some gazed longingly at their mothers; Henry belted out the tunes with some nonsense words here and there and did some motions too. It was hilarious and really fun to watch. After the songs we got to go to their little tables and work on a craft together - decorating a framed picture and adding a magnet. Then Henry got to bring his decorated Valentine bag stuffed with Valentines home. It was so much fun. I really loved being able to be there and share that time with him. Patrick came home for lunch and stayed with William so I could go and focus on Henry.

Here we are working on Henry's special picture frame project together.
Henry on his pink carpet square during one of the songs.

This is the picture frame craft we did together. Check out the expression on Henry's face in the framed pic - we lovingly refer to it as his "mugshot". :-)

This is a placemat that the children made for the mom's. It's really sweet - the heart in the middle is painted with his handprints.

5 comments:

Holly said...

This is just the sweetest EVER! Mother's Love Day??? I LOVE IT! Henry's greeting to you!? SO PRECIOUS!! Love the pics- what a special day! You are both adorable.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day! Henry is such a precious little boy. You both look so cute together, and I love how Henry greeted you. It is such a neat idea to have all of the moms come in during Valentine's day week. I wish I would have done something like this when I was teaching.
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

That is super cute...I love valentines day as a kid...we had a kid in our class today tell one of the teachers that she should get her husband "maybe something with chocolate, he might like that" it was so sweet...henry is adorable and the placemat, what a great idea, i might steal it for my class!!

Amber

Sara said...

That is just so sweet. It's one of those things you'll pull out when he's older and it will be so special.

Love you guys!

Sara

Katie said...

This entry made me tear up! I can't wait to experience things like this with James. These are the rewards of motherhood - I'm so happy that you had such a special time with henry.
xo