Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

To do or not to do?

Private Blog:

Yay or Nay?

I've been thinking about this lately and wondering what to do. I love blogger. It's been a way to share pictures with family and friends; some that we see regularly and some that we wish we got to see more often. I also love the outlet to write and share thoughts, as random and useless as most of them are. Comments? Love the comments and hearing from the aforementioned friends and family.

Here's the but.

Lately I've been wondering if I want all of those family pictures and random thoughts to be shared with any old blogger that just happens to click "next blog" or stop by. Part of me thinks that going "private" would be totally hypocritical. After all, I am totally that random blogger that clicks 'next blog' and then clicks on links of stranger's blogs and reads other strangers' blog once removed.

So do I or do I not want everybody to have the chance to glance into our lives through this open window? I think I do not.

But I'm not decided. Oh and the other big problem? I don't even know how to go private. So if I do go that route I'll need some help from some of you dear bloggy friends.

5 comments:

Jill and Billy said...

ha - that was my big plan a month or so ago! But then I thought about actually DOING it and it really wasn't appealing. I think I would feel safer having it private... I just have to stop being lazy and do it!

Katie said...

well as someone who HAD to do it in order to be allowed to post pics (you know who I'm talking about), I say it's not that big a deal. Erica told me how to do it and it was easy (though I'd refer you to her for directions). And I got to invite friends who might otherwise not have known about my blog (although I think most of them don't check it out - I probably have the same onlookers as I did before going private).

Aside from the picture restriction, the other reason I went private was because some random person commented on one of my entries because I mentioned the town I was in and he had a google alert set up so that he was notified whenever anyone did that...it kind of freaked me out.

So that is my stance on private vs public! :)

Anonymous said...

I suppose it is a good idea and it isn't a problem for your readers. It is not that hard to log on for Erica's and once you're logged on for one, you can automatically go to them all. Holly was giving Jill a hard time about it at the last family thing, but I really think it is not that hard for the reader. Erica would be the one to help with it.
love ya,
Sandi

Erica said...

I'm a total blog stalker and really enjoy people's not private blogs :-)

I remember it being really easy to set up so let me know if you decide to go private. I know you can have up to 100 readers. I think I have 20 :-)

Love you!
Erica

Unknown said...

I hear what you are saying, Christina! I know, because of what he's learned in his job, Brad would like me to not blog, or post anything about us on the internet. I don't like the private blog option because I have learned a lot and found great resources to people's blogs that I don't know, and got to them through blogs of people I do know.I like to focus on the positives that can be spread. There's negatives with everything. I also know that many who check my blog would not remember a password, etc. I will say I'm somewhat thoughtful about what I put on the site,as well as info I enter in the profile part, so I don't get super concerned about people I don't know looking at the blog. Just my thought. :)