Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

10.19.09

In October this little baby,
William - Month 1 041
turned two!
We settled on football for the theme of William's 2nd birthday. He does like sports, or at least playing with different sports' balls. But I took the liberty of choosing the theme based on the fact that he is only two and doesn't request certain themes yet and also since football seemed fitting for his fall birthday. Plus with his chunky little legs and body he looks like he's made to play the sport. So it was settled.
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 061
Sara took every one of these pictures from William's party. I am so thankful to have them and feel blessed to have a sister-in-law who is generous and thoughtful and who also has an amazing talent for photography. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Sara!

I did almost change the theme about five times before I finally settled on football, mostly I was just feeling uninspired. When I was at Michaels trying to get inspiration for the invitations I found some very adorable ice-cream cone stickers. I frantically called Holly and told her I was having a change of heart, that this might have to be an ice-cream theme party instead. She, as always, was helpful and said with no hesitation (which is something I love about her), ice-cream parties are for summer, stick to football.

So I did and after some searching and some googling and some blogstalking (all of the bonifide research one does for a birthday party) I finally got inspired. Two words: felt and pennants. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought bags full of felt and I started crafting. Now the idea was that to make a felt pennant garland one would cut felt triangles and sew them to the ribbon. I, however, do not sew (someday I think I'd like for this to change, but for now I do not). I am here to tell you that if you are like me and don't know how to thread a bobbin, or anything else about sewing for that matter, you will still be able to be a master of felt pennant garlands. Good news, right? I made many garlands using a hot glue gun. Same result. I was thrilled. So thrilled in fact that I started to get carried away with felt and garlands and pennants. They showed up as hanging decor, on favor bags and on tables. There were large pennants, small ones and itty-bitty ones in cupcakes.
fb pennants
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 072
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 068
I could decorate all day. That's what I get most excited about when throwing a party. But most people come to a party to eat. So I also have to think about the food. My plan was to keep the food very simple; chips and dip and pizza. And mostly I stuck to it.
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 027
tortilla chips, "touchdown taco dip", pita chips, vegetable dip, fresh veggie skewers, popcorn, mini cornbread muffins, cheese/pepperoni/sausage pizza
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 087
William loved having the chips and dip right at his level.
But the very best food that people ate, I had absolutely nothing to do with! Last year for William's 1st birthday I wanted to have chili (it was a pumpkin theme, so I wanted the food to be everything that's great about fall). My mom and Dan offered to make the chili and suggested turning it into a competition; a chili cook-off, if you will. It was a success. Fun and friendly competition, a winner, prizes and delicious chili. After the party Erica suggested turning the cook-off into an annual event. Brilliant!
This year there were three entrants: Dan, Rachel and Patrick's mom Mary. Each pot of chili was delicious in its own right and each was also very different from the other. The cooks were kept anonymous until the winner was revealed. This year's winner and current reigning champion is
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 055
His chili is ridiculously good. Let me tell you there are some things in there that I would never even think to throw in a pot. Like cocoa. Seriously. And that chili was so delish. I'm making myself hungry; I wish I had a big bowl right now!
For dessert there were chocolate cupcakes and ice-cream
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 023
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 005
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 092
Picnik collage
Patrick made this little football cake for William.
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 093
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 074
Make a wish!
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 054
Let's party!
bday - 03
bday - 02
bday - 01
Picnik collage
Just weeks before his party, Erica, Bret and Ben moved to New York. We missed having them here with us to celebrate. Erica, it wasn't the same without the three of you here.
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 060
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 085
I love these that Sara took at sunset from outside. They just feel so cozy.
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 047
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 006
Williams 2nd Birthday - 2009 019
The football party was a success. It was lots of fun and we loved having our best friends and family with us to celebrate.

6 comments:

Sara said...

You are sweet....I appreciate the kind words, but they are totally unecessary!

This was a FABULOUS party, as always. I loved the homage to felt garland. :-)

Love you and see you soon!

Unknown said...

Great job as always! I understand the needing to feel inspired, I am going through all of that and my "research" for the girls upcoming family party and Kaylee's friend party. It's a lot of work but just like you I love to do it!!

Rachel said...

LOVE IT! You ALWAYS throw great parties! :)

Holly said...

What will this year's party themes be???

We need to start planning! :) It's never too early. ;)

By the way, I have a ton of pics from William's b-day. I'll bring them down on my new flash drive. Sound good?

Erica said...

Christina,
This party was FABULOUS! Per usual for all of your parties. I love all of the details you put into the decorations.
We were so sad to miss his party, but it's nice to have these wonderful pictures (Great job, Sara!! LOVE the pictures from the outside, peering in.
Those are keepsakes!)
I'm glad you kept this football theme because those felt pendants are adorable! Who needs to sew when you have a hot glue gun???!!! :-)
You do have a talent for throwing parties and for crafts. We should start up that business!!

Love you!
erica

AKHogan said...

Great post and pics - except for . . . !