Pages

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

william takes a trip to the emergency room

will in er
will in er3
will in er1
will in er2
will in er4
Do our days ever go exactly how we expect them to? Yesterday morning ours was. Of course it was 8 o'clock in the morning, but it was so far so good. Then as I was helping Henry put his socks on upstairs in his room, William-who was sitting right next to me on the floor-pulled Henry's space heater over and it came down in a crushing metal heap on to the back of his little chubby foot. Luckily and I mean seriously luckily for me, Patrick was still home. He was just about to walk out the door but heard the chaos and came back upstairs. I expected a bruised foot, but not a bloodied one. Patrick scooped William up and started his first aid. Which as a former farm boy, he secretly loves and lives for (ask him about my c-section). He calmly and very matter-of-factly told me that the cut was deep and he would need stitches. At those words, I felt nauseous and gagged, just a little. Just the combination of blood, and deep and stitches. You get the picture. {I know. I am not useful in a crisis situation. In my mind I am. But when it happens? I am not.}

Patrick calmly drove William to the ER while I took Henry to school. Then I met them there. William got 5 stitches in his foot and will have them removed in 7-10 days. He's staying off it so far and hasn't tried to walk or stand yet, even though the doctor said he is allowed to at his comfort. Today he's been getting around much better. He can do a pretty mean army crawl and does this funny little walk on his knees. His favorite position is propped up on the couch, with a pillow behind his back and a pillow under his feet.

Did I mention this was his 3rd trip to the er?

6 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm so sorry William hurt his foot! Hope it heals quickly! Love, Ruth

Erica said...

Oh, Poor William!
I'm SO glad Patrick was still home when this happened, and I hope William's foot heals quickly. I can't imagine him off of his feet for too long. I love that he's found a new way to move in the meantime!

Keep us updated!
Love you!
Erica

Jeanie Bree said...

Even in a small crisis situation, you still manage to get great photos and show us all that you are SUPER MOM! (Oh, and please tell Partrick that he is an AMAZING DAD!)

Christina said...

Thank you all! And Bree, those pictures are all from my phone :-) Though I was very tempted to stop at home for my real camera! But that would not be such a super mom :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, Christina! First of all I don't think I realized this was Williams 3rd trip! He just looks like a trooper in those photos :) We have only had one trip and I was not very useful either. I too am blessed to have a husband who thrives in these situations. I'm sure he and Brad could have some great c-section conversations, HAHA!! I think you are selling yourself short and I'm sure that you are just as strong in these situations :)

Rachel said...

Holy mama! I'm glad to hear that he's doing OK though. And yes, you really ARE super mom! :)