Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

the stuff we get to do

It started yesterday at bedtime.
May - 2011 994
I was ready to bolt, but Henry wasn't ready for me to go. He needed a few more minutes, a little bit more assurance of my presence. Sometimes things dawn on you, but this completely washed over me. This little boy laying here in his bed is getting ready to sleep and he only wants one thing; me. Everything clicked and I realized that I get to. I get to lay next to him, hum a song, smooth his hair and spend the last waking moments of his day with him. I get to watch him as he drifts off to sleep. I get to hear his breathing get all rhythmic and his eyelids flutter open and closed until he finally closes them and falls dreamily into sleep.
May - 2011 992
I get to reassure him by just being near him. And it's a good reminder because so much of the time I feel like there's stuff I have to do and I begrudge that stuff sometimes.
May - 2011 1017
Dinner is not something I labor over because I have to have something on the table at 5 o'clock {as if it's ever ready then anyway}; it becomes a chance to feed my family. I get to create a meal, to choose the things I feed my children. I get to give them nutrients that help their little bodies grow strong and healthy. I get to spend time gathered around our little table with my family.
May - 2011 1022
I don't feel so stuck and bothered when I realize that I get to be a farm girl. I get to live in the little tiny town of my husband's birth. I get to live in a former one room schoolhouse. I get to live with my little family in the very house where my children's grandparents started their lives together. And I get to enjoy it because it's only for a season.
May - 2011 1006
I get to wash the grass stains out of little baseball pants after tball practice. I get to watch the sun rise most mornings because of my early rising boy.
May - 2011 1011
I would be telling you a lie if I said I didn't love it most mornings. Because truth be told, before I go to bed each night I think about the next day, the lists and to-do's, but mostly I look forward to those first early moments, coffee in hand, curled on the couch with my boys. Those moments, long and lingering and unrushed are my favorite part of the day.
May - 2011 1024
I get to referee fights and settle disagreements between two small boys who most often want the same {toy, cup, ball, cookie} at the same moment. It keeps me mentally sharp.
May - 2011 1009
I know in my heart I need to cherish these things that feel like tasks every day because I suspect in the years to come these very things will be the ones that I miss the most.
May - 2011 995
These are the things that I probably should do and will continue to do, but mostly I am thankful for these things that I get to do.
{Pardon the dandelion infestation of a lawn! William thinks these "yellow flowers" are the absolute most beautiful flowers in all the world. And I had to teach them how to blow the seeds on the white ones.}

3 comments:

Sara said...

I definitely needed this today - thank you! Such a good perspective to have, and you're so right - the things we "have" to do should be considered priveleges for sure. Thanks for the reminder!

Love you!

Erica said...

This is such a good reminder. We are so blessed to get to take care of these sweet boys every day. Sometimes the lists are long and the chores tedious, but each day is a gift. Thanks for the sweet and lovely reminder today!
Love you!

jalison said...

What can I say about this post? It is making me cry. Life is but a vapor; one moment we are here and the next we move on. I'm grateful YOU are so grateful for the immeasurable blessings God has bestowed upon you. One day the house will be quiet and you'll wonder where time has gone. And you'll cherish every single moment you spent with these precious jewels God has entrusted into your life. And your heart will swell as you remember all the times you had with them. I know at least that has been my experience. I love you to the moon and back. Mom