Pages

Friday, November 09, 2007

A New Normal

This picture says it all-we have one in newborns and one in size 6's. Both ends of the spectrum. Their diapers crack me up.


So, as you might have guessed from all of these blog updates, both of my boys are napping right now! I can always count on William for some good naps, but it's definitely nice to have some free time with both of them sleeping at once.
Just in the past couple of days I feel like I'm starting to adjust to life again and like this is becoming our new "normal". I am feeling 100% recovered and well from the c-section. The first couple of weeks we were so fortunate to have help from our families. I just felt terrible that I couldn't do more and felt really overwhelmed about how I would be able to manage on my own. This week I've been feeling so good. We've been going on walks, breaking in the double stroller. Oh my goodness, it is so heavy though! It's a workout just to push it up the driveway! And Patrick has been leaving the house again to study, so I've had the boys on my own for a few hours in the morning and afternoon. I was so nervous about how I would be able to take care of them on my own, and it's been good to just do it. I've realized that it's going to be busy and it's going to be a lot of work, but it's also going to be manageable. I'm just figuring out what our new routine will look like, because it's definitely different now with a newborn. We're not quite as free to just leave and run errands or go to the park. But at the same time, Henry has been more of a homebody in the past few weeks, which has helped. He's been really content to play in our yard or just to play inside with his tractors. We did go on a walk yesterday to the park and I just had William tucked into his carseat (we have a BundleMe cover on it) and pushed him in the stroller while sticking close to Henry. It felt so good to get out of the house again and to feel confident taking care of the boys. So we're definitely getting started slowly, but every day I'm feeling more and more like this is normal now and I'm starting to feel settled in to our new normal.
I just have such respect for mothers, and mothers of two or more just completely astound me. Sally, Sara...you make it seem so easy and natural. I will definitely be looking to you for advice in the coming days, weeks, months. I'll take advice from anyone on these....
First of all, do you shower??! How do you handle getting ready in the mornings...yourself?
Also, I'm hungry alot, but also am trying to lose this baby weight. Any suggestions for healthy eating? I feel like I'm grabbing snacks here and there on the go. What do you do for snacks/meals during the day?

4 comments:

Sally said...

Thanks for the compliment that I make it look easy. I'll tell ya the truth, though, the first 8-10 weeks were really rough for all of us. We pretty much thought we were done having kids. As soon as we started getting more sleep, though, everything else seemed manageable and we're definitely open to more kids (1 or 2, we think)! Our advice for people in the first couple months is to just "get through it!" Getting ready in the mornings usually looks like this: Tim gets up with Nathan around 7, letting me sleep in while Blake slept longer. They ate breakfast, and I got up when Blake did (this was when I was trying to get as much sleep as possible!) and fed him and got breakfast myself. Then usually Blake would either sit in the portable swing in our room (we have a small fold-up type one) while I showered, and Nathan would play in my room/ on my bed with cars. Blake was always in my line of sight from the shower, and occasionally I would call out to Nathan questions like "are you playing?" so I'd know he was still there. If you had a toddler who you couldn't trust with the baby, you might not be able to do that. Thankfully I've been blessed in that way. Now that Blake takes regular morning naps, I can shower during that while Nathan plays upstairs in his room or my room. I usually try to get him to come in my room (and sometimes he showers with me!) so I know he's ok. Some days the hair gets pulled up in a ponytail and I throw on clothes-- I just take a shower in the evening after bedtime when Tim can watch them (before they both started going to bed around 7).

Sara said...

Let's just say I didn't do much on my own until Caleb was around four weeks old! So, you're doing really good. I would say I've learned to shower at night more and some days I go without (usually Fridays and Tuesdays when I'm home). But Dan has a pretty flexible schedule, so if I need to, I can shower before he goes to work, which is my preference. I have showered while Caleb sleeps and Gabe plays in the bathroom, but not that often. Now that they both go down at a reasonable hour (and stay down), night time has become my "get things done" time of day again. As far as eating / snacks, I'm just starting to try and eat better and healthier after joining WW again a few weeks ago. Some good snacks, etc. I've found are Thomas's Light Whole Grain English Muffins - on WW they're only one point and I put a tbsp of honey nut cream cheese on one for breakfast (also 1 point). I do some Lean Cuisines for lunches - easy enough, plus healthy. I also like the WW yogurt (not all flavors, but the cherry one is really good). Those have Splenda though, so it depends how you feel about that. I think you will be fine, though, especially if you keep nursing. You always look great!

See you tomorrow!

Love you,

Sara

Katie said...

I just caught up on all your posts! William is a little peanut compared to Henry (and likewise for the diapers!). He is just so precious and sweet. And Henry as always is adorable. The Halloween post is my favorite...he looked so cute in is too-small-duck costume. You seem to be doing so well - I've always thought you are such a great mother that I've never had more faith in you to do well with two boys. i love you!

Anonymous said...

Christina-It all comes...I usually will either wake-up before the girls and think "oh I'll take this opportunity and shower" or when Ainsley is down for her morning nap I get ready. Kaylee is so good about playing either in my room or hers or back and forth between the two rooms. Hang in there you will figure it out!