Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Henry's excited face

One of Henry's most endearing qualities is his sense of wonder and excitement. I've often wondered what it would be like to spend a day in his shoes. And sometimes when the daily drudgeries of life feel like they weigh me down I've wished that I could.



Since he was around 6 months old, when he is really excited about something Henry has made a face we've come to call his "excited face". His mouth drops wide open and he gazes in wonder. I can see the little wheels turning in his head as he looks quietly but excitedly upon the object of his gaze.



He continues to make this face at the age of three, but as a mother who realizes that it all goes far too fast, I wanted to reminisce over the past three years at all of his excited moments captured on camera. I feel like my babies will always be babies, but I know that these moments are fleeting and one day Henry will be too cool to show his excitement this way.



For now I revel in his awe and wonder of world, one that only a child can truly have. I love this innocent and awe-inspired way he views the world around him.






















What a gift his sense of wonder is. It makes even the mundane things of life seem a bit more exciting to me.

7 comments:

Jeanie Bree said...

How amazing that you have that particular expression shown in 21 photos!! Oh my goodness!! You are my kinda gal...keep takin those pics!

Sara said...

This is so precious - I love looking back at those baby pictures of him. Time flies!

This truly is one of Henry's most endearing qualities. I love his sense of amazement at things. He's such a sweetheart and we love him very much!

Love you guys,

Sara

Amy Kate said...

OH. My. Gosh. This is the best blog post I've seen in a long time. I always love the shots of his excited face, and I love the compilation of "through the years" photos.
My favorite thing about kids is their awe at learning new things and seeing things for the first time, but I don't know* any kid whose expression sums it up like Henry's!!

(*Um...not that I "know" Henry, per se, outside of stories from your blog and from Sara. Sincerely, creepy blogstalker Amy)

Erica said...

This is precious. I got teary scrolling down and seeing all of the pictures of his "excited face" from the past three years. It's amazing how quickly time passes. Henry's sense of wonder and awe are such a gift to everyone around him. He's a very special little boy.
This is the best post, and a good reminder to me to cherish all the little things in our every day lives.
Love you,
Erica

Anonymous said...

This post is GREAT!!! The pics just kept on comin', with that hilarious expression on his face. He is such a fun boy. Others got teary, but it just made me happy!
-Sally

jazzmom said...

What a great collection of pictures...that's such a great face!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic pictures! It is amazing to me that he has kept that same excited expression as he has gotten older. It is fun to see the things that cause him to get excited. I think as we get older we forget the wonder in the world around us and start taking everything for granted. I hope to see the excited face for many years to come.
love,
Sandi