Pages

Saturday, October 01, 2011

kindergarten

August - 2011 045
August - 2011 046
On the first day of kindergarten, Henry woke up early {just the usual early} and ran from his room to ours to wake me up. He was excited when he said, "today is my first day of kindergarten!" His excitement helped ease so much of my fear and worry. I felt excited for him.
August - 2011 008
He ate breakfast, his favorite - a stack of flapjacks.
August - 2011 050
He and William posed for a few first day pictures.
August - 2011 051
August - 2011 056
August - 2011 043
And grabbed his Green Lantern lunch box. I swear I stuffed as much as I possibly could in there just not knowing what he'd be hungry for or how much but mostly it terrified me more than anything to think of him sitting at lunch there in the big cafeteria all by himself. So I packed that lunch box full of as much as I could since I couldn't be there with him myself.
August - 2011 011
We walked into school, excited but he did start to grow a little nervous.
August - 2011 012
And if you're wondering about the wardrobe change, there were sort of two first days. The very first one was August 18 and was just an hour for kindergarten orientation.
August - 2011 019
And I got to come along.
August - 2011 030
We navigated his classroom together. We found his desk and coat hook, put away his supplies, met his classroom pets and had a graham cracker and juice for a snack.
August - 2011 020
August - 2011 022
He wrote the thing he was most looking forward to in kindergarten was "playing outside at recess". And he drew a picture of himself on the monkey bars.
August - 2011 041
August - 2011 038
He collected a sticker for a successful first day from his teacher Mrs. Debord. He liked her right from the start. She is warm and bubbly and soothing and kind all at the same time. She has been teaching for 34 years and this is her final year. She is a mother hen to all of these sweet little children.
August - 2011 064
August - 2011 063
On Friday, August 19, the first official full day of school, William and I dropped Henry off with his class. They line up just outside the entrance to the school as a class. He wore a shy smile and was so brave. I wore my great big sunglasses because I knew I wasn't as brave and I didn't want him to see me cry.
August - 2011 066
The class filed in through these doors and I turned to get one last picture of my big kindergarten boy, the one who was just a happy little toddling baby just a few years ago, and he was already gone, disappeared through the doors and into his school. I welled up with tears and walked holding William's sweet little hand through blurred vision behind my big sunglasses. No matter how old our children get or how ready they are, it just doesn't feel like the natural thing to leave them somewhere that you are not in a building full of strangers. It still makes my heart a little bit sad every morning when I drop him off. I miss my sweet boy when he is gone. But he is off learning new things and more importantly having adventures of his own. He is making friends and doing the monkey bars at recess.

2 comments:

jalison said...

Wow, does this bring back the memories . . . ! Thank you for sharing so many pictures. He did look a bit nervous as he approached the countdown to going into the school. I'm so proud of him. He's doing a great job! And so are you Christina! Love, Mom

Unknown said...

My heart strings were pulled as I read this. Although Kaylee is in 1st grade this year I still had the tears the first day of school! Time sure does fly. I remember when Kaylee started school I wondered what would happen if she was in the hallway by herself and wasn't sure where to go, even though Towanda is a small school, she still seemed so small in it. Alas she did great, but you are right no matter how old they get it's hard to not be with them somewhere!