Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

The orchard

October - 2011 155
Picnik collage
It's October and while big, orange pumpkins are on my mind, let me tell you my one bone with the pumpkin patch. It's big and commercial and crowded and it has very little to actually do with pumpkins.
October - 2011 190
I'd rather be at the apple orchard; in the crisp Fall air strolling down a tall grass lane between a row of Jonagolds to my left and Blushing Golden's on my right.
Picnik collage
 October - 2011 189
We went to this adorable little orchard a few weeks ago with my mom. It was a sunny, warm day with just enough crispness in the air to make it feel like Fall.
October - 2011 193
After a quick stop in the barn for apple cider donuts, we grabbed a wagon and headed towards the rows of trees bearing apples of all colors and names. We stumbled upon these first, and I almost quickly disregarded them as just regular old Golden Delicious. Thanks to my mom, we stopped and tasted them. They were nothing of the sort.
October - 2011 167
Behold, the Blushing Golden.
Sweet, tart and crisp. My perfect apple!
October - 2011 200
We filled our bags with lots of those and ate our way through several others.
October - 2011 216
I remember as a child the very best thing about going to the apple orchard was twisting an apple off the branch and eating right then and there.
Picnik collage
October - 2011 170
I loved standing back and watching my boys love doing it too.
October - 2011 179
{Me in my farmer clothes :) It's always good to have a picture for posterity, just to prove I was there.}
October - 2011 225
Picnik collage
There was a giant tower of hay bales. Henry and William loved climbing it and jumping from the top. My mom and I sat on a bench and smiled at just how different little boys and girls are. We didn't think climbing those bales even once sounded like much fun, but they were so happy to climb up again and again.
Picnik collage
 October - 2011 139
And look, there were pumpkins too!
October - 2011 141
October - 2011 137
October - 2011 135
The best of both worlds.
October - 2011 142
Picnik collage
{Oma and the boys in the orchard.}
Picnik collage

{Photo credit to Henry for the picture of my mom and I and William for the picture on the right!}
October - 2011 175

3 comments:

jalison said...

What a fun day that was at the Cherry Valley Apple Orchard!! The weather couldn't have been more perfect. The picture of you and boys (you in your farmer clothes) is really adorable. And who doesn't love the ones of little William pulling the wagon? He's the littlest of all of us AND the strongest! LOL Thanks for the post; it's really sweet. Oh yeah, the apples were great, too! I'm so proud of my little pumpkin! If you have any doubts, just look at the picture! Haha!

Erica said...

What a perfect fall outing! The boys look so cute on those hay bales! What fun!

I love Golden Delicious apples so I'll have to try a Blushing Golden sometime. My mouth is watering!

Sara said...

I'm glad this little orchard was a success! hopefully next year we'll be able to join you!