Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Green to gray in a day

On Saturday, kind of on a whim, we painted our main level. I say "we" very loosely. I rolled a few times and the boys did too. Then I took them to the park and to Krispy Kreme for a doughnut. We came home with sticky fingers and a healthy dose of vitamin d to our finished room.
The before and afters
 Our entire main level was this greenish beige when we moved in. (It also goes up the stairs and all the way down the upstairs hallway, but that's another job for another day.) I don't hate the color, but I've never loved it either. With the dawn of the new year, I've been craving lighter walls for a fresh and more open and simplified space. I like the gray, it definitely feels light and fresh. Now I'm ready for some decor changes too. I would love white couches, but they're not in the budget or probably wise with little boys. So I've turned my attention to the mantle and surrounding walls.

I like the gold frames with pictures in the little bumpout/alcoves/whatchamacallits. We have little bumpouts on either side of the mantle. And the mirror with the candle sconces.

And I love the built ins around this fireplace. I would love these next to ours, but the trouble is that our spaces aren't nearly as large.  But that plywood and those lanterns above the mantle. There's something I love about the rustic/shabby chic-ness of it together.
Source: dooce.com via Christina on Pinterest

The trim! And I like the idea of little stools in each, although I don't love these and the punchy 60's colors.

I like the framed botanical prints about the mantle. We have just enough space for this above ours and I think it would fill the space nicely.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Oohhhh!!! I love the gray walls!! The green was nice, but I really LOVE the change. And all of these ideas are beautiful. The top two are my favorites--with the gold frames and then the weathered boards. Oh, the possibilities!! Can't wait to see it in person this summer! Love you!

Sandi said...

Very nice. The light color does open everything up. I like the animal print on the Table/ottoman?? How about an animal print on the table we have here. Or animal cushion? Hmmm.

Holly said...

Love the gray! Patrick ROCKS with the handiwork (painting in this case). Go P-Diddy, Go P-Diddy, GO GO, GO P-DIDDY! ;) haha

Seriously though, it looks so good! I like the framed botanical prints! We could totally do that! Let's make it a G DUBS treasure hunt to find the frames... then we can spray them. I read there's even a spray paint by Krylon that mimics mercury glass! I want to try it on a lamp!!! The frames in gold would look nice too. And the prints could be from an old book, or wrapping paper, or your own photos!!!! I want to paint my mantle white... Those are my random thoughts. Love ya!
<3 Holly

Sara said...

Love your signature grey! It's so so pretty and really does brighten things up. Also, I know where you can get some botanical prints if you want them. :-) (I think the book is at your mom's at the moment, but help yourself!)