Pages

Monday, May 07, 2007

A Little Discouragement

Poor Henry has been so sick this weekend. It started Saturday morning when he threw up a few times, only after he would eat or drink something. Then throughout the day Saturday he kept getting sick...a total of 8 times that day. Yesterday was a bit better, he only threw up 4 times, but he had such a high fever that he had no energy. Our Sunday was mostly spent laying on the couch watching Barney (his new fave). We went outside to play a few times and went for a walk or two, but mostly we stayed in...oh he also took a 3 1/2 hour nap yesterday afternoon. (Huge for him--I think he woke up because we went in there to make sure he was ok, otherwise he would have probably kept sleeping.) Then throughout the night and into this morning he got sick 4 more times and what worried me most is that he wasn't keeping down any liquids...i.e.pedialyte. It's so sad because the only thing Henry wants is milk ("moke") and I wasn't sure about it and haven't been giving it to him. He asks for it whenever he wakes up from sleep.

I brought him to the doctor this morning who did a few tests and thought he might have strep. The initial test, thankfully, came back negative. There's an overnight one that they will call me about tomorrow. Henry didn't love his doctor so much today, he cried BIG cries throughout the whole examination starting from when the doctor walked in. He only stopped to say "bye bye" to the doctor when he walked out. The doctor ruled out dehydration based on all of the tears he was able to produce (!) and another test he did. He thinks it's just viral which means we "have to let it run its course". I'm very thankful that it's not strep or something more serious, but it's frustrating to be told that there's really nothing I can do to help him either. The good news: the doctor approved "moke", so Henry had a little glass of that when we got home. He was thrilled!

The other discouraging thing...Patrick came home from work early, he's lying in bed feeling very sick to his stomach. Uh oh, this is "running it's course" throughout our family.

The good news: Dunkin Donuts makes their iced coffee in decaf. I treated myself after Henry's appointment. I love their caramel iced coffee..it's a delicious summer treat and I love tricking myself into thinking I'm actually drinking the would be much needed caffeine. Something else...I think I've been feeling slight flutters from baby #2. It always catches me by surprise, and it's the greatest thing.

3 comments:

Holly said...

OH you poor thing! I hope Henry and Patrick have a speedy recovery and that you stay healthy! Keep washing those hands!!! There is nothing worse than being sick... except maybe having a sick child??? Get well soon Henry and Patrick!

Sara said...

I hope they feel better soon! We'll say a prayer for them. On another note, I'll have to try that Dunkin's drink you suggested; but I must say, I have been much more liberal with the caffiene this time around! I have at least one cup of regular coffee or a Coke a day! Yikes - everything in moderation, right!?

Rachel said...

I'm sad to hear about Henry and Patrick getting so sick! I feel bad for them but also feel bad for you because you know there is nothing you can do to help them! I hope they feel better soon! On a side note, I will definitely have to tried the DD decaf iced coffee. Sounds great! :)