Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mistaken Identity

So we just had our first case of public embarrassment. On Friday Henry and I were at the park when a person went riding past us on a bicycle. This person was decked on in a fuchsia sweatshirt, red sweatpants, some glasses and a white bike helmet. As this person was riding by us Henry shouts out, "boy!" and points to the person on the bicycle who turns and says, "I'm not a boy, I'm a girl", and keeps riding on! I sort of laughed and said, "he calls everyone a boy!" Which is totally not true!! But I didn't know what to say and I felt bad that this person heard him and also felt compelled to shout out her true identity. The other thing was that she wasn't a girl either, she was a grown woman! Anyway, I know it's probably just a first of many more to come.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Don't worry- most people will be understanding of a 2-year old's mistakes, and it's good teaching moment for us to use. I just fear the day that my kid points to someone and says "fat." (Hopefully we'll be able to teach that that's not appropriate before then at home..) I'd probably just use the opportunity to apologize to the person, and explain to my child that it's not polite to --what do I say here-- point out the truth in public?! er, I mean, to talk about people we don't know? How else would I word that? It'll be a challenge at times.