Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Henry's Going to School

Our little Henry is starting school tomorrow! He'll be going to a program at a church near our house on Monday mornings from 9-11:45. And I'm a nervous wreck!!

I've heard a lot of great things about this particular program from some other moms that I know whose children have attended since they were toddlers. I just found out at the end of August that they have a program for 2-year olds and after talking with Patrick and praying about it we decided that it would be a great chance for Henry to be out of the house, interacting with other children and learning some preschool-ish social skills. They didn't have an opening when I called to ask about the program, so they put us on their waiting list. Then last week they called to say that they now have an opening and Henry can come. I went last week to meet with his teacher and the school's director and to check out the classroom and get a feel for the program. I really like his teacher, she seems really sweet and didn't seem phased when I told her I thought Henry might cry (there's also an assistant in the room and only 10 children, so a really good ratio). Of course, I'm a worried mess. Part of me is thinking, will Henry think that he's getting a brother and now I'm sending him off and abandoning him? But then rationally I think, this will be fun for him and also a great chance for me to have some time with the baby and also to go grocery shopping or other errand running with just 1 child. And it's one morning a week...perspective, I know.

He has to bring a backpack (!) with a change of clothes and his diaper bag and we get to bring snack once every other month or so. This month his classroom's theme is "Fall Extravaganza" and they're doing finger painted pumpkins, handprint spiders and painting real pumpkins. Also on the last Monday of the month the parents are invited at 11:30 for a fall festival and the children are going to sing the songs they've been learning. So all of those things will inevitably be showing up on my blog! I'm excited for him and I really do think he will love the chance to play with other children his age. I'm just super nervous and could really use prayer in dropping him off tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jeanie Bree said...

Christina,
From what I just read Henry is going to LOVE it.