Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

5 Day Challenge - Update

The 5 Day Challenge is done! It officially ended Friday at 5:00 pm. (Which I do find a little funny that we got the weekend off starting at 5 on Friday. We - the participants- are so used to a certain way of life that we didn't want to have to sacrifice our weekend. At least, I was glad we didn't have to!) I was ready for 5:00 to come and ready for the challenge to end - I wanted some good food. I really felt hungry all week, which was the purpose of the challenge. A sidenote: Patrick ditched the challenge at the end of day one. He did so without telling me that he was doing it, he just showed up on the couch with a can of pop and a bowl of popcorn! His rationale was that he called me earlier in the day and said I was crabby (doubtable, right?!) and he said he was being crabby so he realized at that moment that if we were going to make it through the week, one of us needed to eat. :-)

I did learn a lot by doing this about myself and about how very privileged and truly fortunate I am. Eating smaller portions helped me to realize that what I need to be full is less than I usually eat. I also realized that I am a sugar-addicted, junk food monger. The hardest things to stay away from were sweets, but I did it. I went all 5 days with no sweets, which I didn't think I could do and was tempted to quit a million times. What's funny is that what I started craving was fruit. I did have a couple snacks to allow me to keep functioning at a necessary level! And I would look forward to having an apple or a banana. My plan is to keep eating healthy snacks instead of sugary ones.
I was tempted to quit so many times throughout the week, but Holly really kept me motivated on the days that were tough for me. Here are a few texts I sent to Holly during the week that show my commitment level rollercoaster ride:
Monday, April 21 : I'm hungry (@9:20 am)
Tuesday, April 22: Ok now I want to quit. I'm just tired and lethargic and have no energy. Don't like this. (@11:02 am)
Tuesday, April 22: I think I'm over this. (@4:10 pm)
Wednesday, April 23 : I feel good and committed! Let's do this! (@8:43 am)
Wednesday, April 23: I'm feeling good. I'm not craving anything today. Getting used to it. (@10:54 am)
Thursday, April 24: Do u wanna quit? (@4:17 pm)
Friday, April 25 : Let's eat! (@4:57 pm)

We are so fortunate to have refrigerators and pantries stocked full of food. When my biggest food problem is not wanting to take the time to actually make dinner, I count myself very blessed.

3 comments:

Holly said...

It worked out pretty well for us- when I was at my low- you were at a high, and vice versa. Couldn't have done it without you!

I agree- I have a totally new perspective on food. :)

Erica said...

It's great that you and Holly had each other to lean on and made it through the week together. Even though I didn't participate, this challenge was a good
eye-opener for myself and for everyone who heard about it. Thanks for participating and sharing!
Love,
Erica

The Michaels' Quads said...

Great Blogs. I love your site, Christina! Thanks so much for your help with the Quads last night. Hope you will still come back:) Gavin,Reese, and Maggie thank you from the bottom of their hearts.

Oh, you're going to have to show me how to make our blog look a little more creative. Patrick tells me you are the expert at this (which is evident).

Jon