Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Shake, shake, shake

Friday morning around 4:30 Patrick and I both woke up at nearly the same moment and looked at each other. It was the rattling sound of the hardware on our dresser clicking back and forth that woke me up. However, in the next moment I realized the bed was slightly and subtly shaking. I was definitely freaked out and became even more so when Patrick who is very cool, calm, and collected in most every situation had a blank stare on his face. He also felt the shaking and immediately thought it was an earthquake. It was, of course an earthquake as most people know by now. At that moment though at 4:30 in the morning I really didn't believe it and thought it was ridiculous that he was even thinking an earthquake was possible in Illinois. Oops.

The shaking stopped pretty shortly after it started and Patrick immediately went downstairs. He said he wanted to make sure our house wasn't "falling down". Hmmm, that didn't help my shaken up self feel very reassured. I told him to jump right on the computer and look it up. There was nothing on the news yet about the quake, but when we woke up on Friday morning the radio did confirm that indeed it was an earthquake that we'd felt. How crazy. I still can't believe it. It's so weird to think that the earth beneath us was actually moving and there was nothing we could do to control it.

Later that morning around 10:15, Henry and William and I were upstairs in my room while I was getting ready and felt a little more slight shaking which we later found out was an aftershock (or tremor - I'm not really sure if those words are interchangeable). Since Henry slept through the quake at 4 am and then felt the aftershock in our bedroom he keeps saying that mommy had an earthquake in her room!

No comments: