Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

5 Day Challenge

Last Thursday Holly posted this information about the 5 Day challenge:

(Taken from http://www.willowcreek.org/) :

The American diet is vastly different than much of the world. Half the world’s population lives on $2 a day or less. As an act of solidarity with our brothers and sisters around the globe, we encourage you to eat as they do for five days, April 21 – 25. Set aside the money you would have spent on additional groceries to include with your special offering on May 10-11.

Meal Options:
Plain oatmeal or Cream of Wheat
A tortilla, rice and beans
Rice with bits of fish or chicken and a vegetable
Portions:
Portion sizes are much smaller than a typical American meal. One cup or eight ounces is a generous portion. Meat is a luxury, with the average African consuming about ¾ ounce per day—the size of a small chicken nugget. Fresh fruit is rare, available only if locally grown and in season.
While these meals seem meager by American standards, they actually represent diets in the broad middle of the world’s population. Approximately 1 billion people live on even less—only $1 per day.

**Please use your discernment in determining a portion size that will allow you to function in a safe manner and to also experience what life is like for the other half of the world. Those with medical conditions should honor your physician's medical recommendations. Contact your doctor if unsure about participation in the challenge.

________________________________________________________________

I'll admit, when I first read the post I thought it was a great idea in theory but thought that Patrick would think it was ridiculous and knew I couldn't do it alone while cooking hearty meals for the rest of the family. Then I talked to Patrick about the challenge and as we thought about the rationale behind it, we decided to give it a try. So beginning tomorrow, we're going eat these lighter meals for 5 days. I know it's going to be tough and I'm sure I'll be craving some sugary sweets and probably some Starbucks, too. But I also think it will be a chance for me to realize how privileged and fortunate I truly am. I also want to be conscious to pray for people around the world this week who have so little and I think I'll remember to do that when I start to feel hungry. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Oh and Henry will be eating and normal and well-balanced diet this week, I knew you were worried!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Erica said...

It is amazing how much we consume in this country when so many people in our world live in poverty. This is such a wonderful idea and a great reminder to give thanks for all God has given us and to pray for the world. I think it's neat that you and Patrick (and Holly) are taking part in this challenge. Please keep me updated.
Love,
Erica