Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Caleb turns one

My sweet nephew Caleb was born on 7-7-07 and it hardly seems like a year has gone by since his birth. I remember getting the phone call from Dan late on Friday night, July 6, 2007, letting us know that Sara was going to be heading into the hospital and that their baby would most likely be arriving sometime on Saturday. Patrick, Henry and I arrived at the hospital a few hours before Caleb's birth. It was a hot summer day and I was big and pregnant, too. I have sweet memories of Gabe in the little family waiting area while he played and waited to hear the news that his baby brother had arrived. When we knew that Sara had started pushing we knew it would just be a matter of time until this sweet baby's birth. Gabe kept saying, "I'm so excited." I found this video to show his excitement. It was the sweetest thing. Notice the giddy laughter of the grandma's in the background.


A year has gone by and Caleb turned one on July 7. Happy Birthday Caleb! His first birthday party was on Sunday, July 13. Sara and Dan once again threw a fabulous party; the theme was baseball and it was adorable. From the ballpark food : hot dogs, popcorn, peanuts and nachos, to the adorable decorations : baseball pennants and cupcakes iced to look like baseballs, it was a huge success and was so much fun.

Sara and Caleb

Everything was decorated so cute - there were giant star balloons and baseball pennants hung across doorways and over windows. It was adorable.

The goody bags for the kids. Sara also hand made chocolates in different baseball related shapes (peanuts, hot dogs, stars, baseball gloves) and wrapped them in cellophane bags tied with ribbon for each grown-up to take as a favor. They were adorable and delicious!

Caleb was hilarious with his birthday cupcake. He didn't want anything to do with it, even when Sara broke it into smaller pieces. He was so polite though handing her each piece off of his tray.

Baseball cupcakes. These tasted as good as they look. Sara was busy, too. She baked a lot of these!

Gabe and Henry getting refills of lemonade.

Gabe, Henry and my Dad (aka Bapa Bug) They played together during the entire party. My Dad is so good with the boys and they adore playing with him.

Great Grandpa and Grandma Hogan and William. William is named after Grandpa Edwin Hogan.

My Mom (Oma) and William


Henry and Gabe the morning after the party

We spent the night with Dan and Sara and the boys after the party and got to spend the day together on Monday. It was fun to have extra time together; I always love spending time with my sweet nephews. Gabe and Caleb are just precious. Henry is getting to be a feisty playmate - he doesn't like to share nor does he even try to do it, even when the toys belong to someone else (i.e. cousin Gabe). It's definitely something we're working on and (hopefully) learning through frequent trips to time-out. Unfortunately he was a crabby playmate for Gabe on Monday. I'm sorry Gabe and we promise to keep working on it. Thank you for sharing your toys so graciously.

Happy First Birthday Caleb. We love you!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for this sweet post and for sharing all the pics! I'm so glad you guys were here, but I'm sorry I was out of commission on Monday! I'm not sure what hit me, but I'm glad it didn't hit anyone else! Gabe loves playing with Henry and don't even think about apologizing for him being a crabby playmate; if anything we're sorry for continually tattling on Henry! :-) Hope to see you guys again soon!

Love you,

Sara

Sara said...

P.S. I think you can tell I wasn't feeling well on Monday by the fact that Henry is dressed so cute and Gabe is wearing miscellaneous, non-matching PJs (in the middle of the day)!

Erica said...

I love this video of Gabe, and I love hearing all the excitement in everyone's voices. It's so neat how everyone was there and waiting for sweet Caleb! And now he's one!!! His party was so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I remember the day Caleb was born like it was yesterday. How is it possible that a year has passed? Remember how Gabriel finally got so tuckered out that he fell asleep in that little family waiting room? Awwww He was so excited to meet his brother, Caleb! And now Caleb is one+ and this year will pass quickly as well. I sure do love my boys. God has blessed us mightily. Who would have thought?! We are so rich in love. PTL Mom/Oma

Holly said...

Sara, your party is ADORABLE! I absolutely love your baseball cupcakes and all the little touches! Way to go! You're a pro. Happy b-day Caleb!!! :)

Oh, and Henry and Gabe are so cute together!