Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Henry is three

Henry Andrew was born at 3:03 a.m. on July 22, 2005. That means that my "baby" is turning three today. I've been preparing for "three" for a few months and now that it's here it feels momentous. When Henry was a newborn and during his first year, three-year-olds looked and seemed so old to me. In fact, I taught them on a daily basis and expected so much from them. They seemed so grown-up. Now that Henry is three I realize that a three-year-old really isn't so grown up. At least Henry doesn't seem as old to me as I once imagined a three-year-old to be. Although he has really changed over the course of the past year and is becoming more and more a little boy.



Below are a progression of pictures, one from each month during the past year. In the first few he still seems like a little toddler to me. In the last few he is definitely turning into a little boy.


July 22, 2007 : Henry's 2nd Birthday

August 2007

September 2007

October 2007

November 2007


December 2007

January 2008

February 2008
March 2008

April 2008


May 2008

June 2008

July 2008 (swinging with cousin Gabe, the day after Caleb's First Birthday Party)
July 19, 2008 : Henry eating a cupcake during his 3rd Birthday Party

I took these two tonight, July 21, 2008 : Henry's last night as a two-year old. It was a little bit bittersweet. I'm excited for the things that the next years hold, but also sad to let go of his toddler years.
Happy third Birthday sweet Henry. We love you so much. You bring joy and laughter to our lives. I love your sense of wonder and excitement. I love the excited-face you make when you really like something. I love watching this expression of excitement on your face. I love your fearlessness. You are so brave and like to try new things. You've got a lot of passion. You love tractors and can name all of the tractors, trucks and farm equipment you have. I'm impressed by this and am pretty sure you know more about farming than me. In fact, you've called me out before; I'll point out a bean field to you and you'll point out that in fact it's corn in the field. You became a big brother this year and after some adjusting you've grown to love William. He looks up to you and can't wait until he can keep up with you. Maybe someday you will share your toys and tractors with him and learn the fun of playing together. It's hard to believe you're turning three today. It's harder to imagine our lives without you and it seems like you've been here much longer than three years. You have brought a richness to our lives and it's hard to remember what it was ever like before God gave us you. We are so thankful for you and thank God for being gracious to bless us with you as our child. We love you Henry. Happy 3rd Birthday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Henry!!

What sweet words Christina....I started to get teary eyed as I read them....Hope Henry's Birthday is filled with excitement and definitely enjoy three! It's fun!

Love you,
Amber

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Henry! What a beautiful post about a beautiful boy! Hope your day is filled with much love, fun and laughter!

XOXO-The Busings

Sara said...

Happy Birthday, Henry!! We love you so much and can't believe you're three already! Hope you have a great birthday.

Love you!

Uncle Dan, Aunt Sara, Cousin Gabe and Cousin Caleb

Erica said...

Happy 3rd Birthday, Henry!!

You are the sweetest little boy! I know you are going to have a wonderful day today!

Love you,
Erica

Anonymous said...

Dearest Henry Andrew:
Happy, happy, happy Birthday! You are so full of wonder and awe and bring such joy to those around you. I thank God for making you just the way you are. I love you cowboy! Love, Oma
oxoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Wow, three years already, it goes so fast! Also, I totally agree how 2-3 is such a huge jump in age- they go from toddler to little boy! Happy B-day Henry!
-Sally