Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

Visit Santa? Nah!


I've been trying to come up with things to do with the boys to celebrate the Christmas season this month. Ideally every day in December I'd like to do something a little extra special to celebrate; some spiritual and some just traditional fun. We've done a few things, but I'd love any ideas. What do you do to celebrate with your children?

Last Friday I decided to dress the boys up in cozy sweaters and take them to the mall to visit Santa. Lucky for me, my friend Rachel called me that morning and told me she had the day off. So she came with us. It's always so much more fun having someone else to go with, not to mention super helpful. We got to the mall, dressed and ready for pictures with digital camera and video camera in hand. Santa's helper, the photographer, told us that there were no cameras of any kind allowed. Disappointing, but it didn't end up being a big loss because both boys refused to sit on Santa's lap. Henry yelled in his defiant voice from the stroller, "I'm not gonna sit on Santa's lap" and when I decided to splurge on the picture anyway with just William, he clung to my neck with a grip even Santa couldn't pry. Still, I would have gone through with it and had a cute, crying picture to treasure forever except Santa refused and suggested that I come back several times and let the boys get used to him. Ha! Who has the time to commit to that? Maybe if he could be at the mall throughout the year, we could get used to him then and not have to use precious holiday time at the mall acquainting ourselves with him? I'll suggest that next time. Or maybe home visits?

So no Santa in 2008 for us. But we did go for a ride on the carousel in the mall which was equally fun and not threatening like a big, bearded man.
Me, William and Henry
Getting our tickets. This sweet woman cracked us up. She handed us our tickets on this side of the counter and made sure we were all holding them. Then she opened up the little gate and held a bucket down on the opposite side to immediately collect them. So funny.
Henry absolutely loved this ride.Here is he with sheer joy!
I was holding William's hands while keeping him balanced on his horse. The sweet woman didn't like that. She insisted that I "teach him how to hold on" by himself. So, we tried.
Sooo excited.
Rachel and Henry
I wish I had a picture of Rachel with the boys at the mall pushing the huge and oh-so-heavy double stroller. She was awesome! We came home for lunch and Starbucks after the mall.
Rachel, William and Henry
Thanks Rach!

5 comments:

Erica said...

Who needs Santa anyway??? :-) I love your idea about doing something special every day, but I don't have any ideas for you since we're a little behind on the holiday spirit. We haven't even decorated our tree yet! (We're doing it today finally) Santa or no Santa, it looks like a fun day at the mall.

PS- I just thought of one idea...You and Henry could make one of those popcorn garlands for the tree as a holiday craft :-)

Unknown said...

It sounds like you were getting lots of "words of wisdom" from the mall. Who knew they offered such services? I love this idea. I know I love doing extra things this time of year. Some of our favorites: 1. Cookies, 2. Picking out toys for tots, 3. Gingerbread houses, or they even make train kits, 4. home-made ornaments of some kind with an updated photo.

Those are some of the ones we like to do. I think after you are through you should post a list.

Anonymous said...

Nathan didn't want to go near Santa either (same as last year). I say, "who cares?" It's not their biggest memory, it's mostly for the parents to get a picture! I'd rather he remember us talking or reading stories about the meaning of Christmas, or doing all the things together as a family that you are already doing: putting up the tree, baking some cookies, or going out to play in the snow (something I haven't done yet with my kids b/c Blake doesn't have any snowpants that fit! Nathan was already in a 3T at Blake's age and Blake just swims in them...) So, you are doing a lot already! Plus, I'm way more sensitive to the cold for some reason this year and it is CHILLY!
-Sally

Anonymous said...

My favorite Santa story is about Erica. I don't even know if she remembers it. She was waiting in line with Holly to see Santa and was more nervous than anyone knew because she started talking to her imaginary friend, Jaime. She kept turning around and saying things like, "Stop pushing, Jaime." Maybe Henry needs an imaginary friend to take with him to Santa. But, to tell the truth, big, old, bearded guys in red suits are pretty intimidating to little kids.
Love ya,
Sandi

Sara said...

OK, Sandi's comment above had me cracking up...Erica, I never knew about Jamie! :-)

That's neat that you're trying to do something special with them everyday. Definitely keeps things in perspective and makes the season more fun! We've been doing the advent book everyday (the one with the doors) and we tried to do the paper chain garland, but Gabe wasn't that into it. :-) My mom made a paper tree for him to decorate. Other than that, we've just been watching lots of Christmas movies and reading the Christmas books that we have.

Love you guys!

Sara