Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Date night

Well, it was more like a date matinee, but it was a date just the same. It's always fun to get out of the house. And I haven't been to see a movie since our anniversary in July! We went to see "Horton Hears a Who" and my date was able to talk his way in for free. He also ordered apple juice and fruit snacks at the concession stand. He got antsy and stood for part of the movie and then sat on my lap for the last half.

Guessed who my date was yet?









Did you guess? Yesterday I took Henry to a matinee showing of "Horton", his first movie ever. The picture above is of him seeing the big screen for the first time after we sat down. We got there just as they were seating for the movie, so the whole theatre was empty. I let him choose our seats and then he cracked up when he sat down and the chair partially folded up on him because he's so small. He ended up sitting on my folded up coat for some extra ooomph. He did stand for part of the movie which was fine because even standing he wasn't much taller than the heads in front of us. And then he sat on my lap when he got tired. The movie wasn't super long, but I still wasn't sure if he'd want to stay for the whole thing so I asked him partway through if he wanted to leave and he didn't. So we ended up making it to the end. He was definitely the loud talker at the movie, he tried to talk over the volume of the movie whenever he'd say something to me. And he had lots to say and lots of questions. There were several other children there so whenever they would laugh, he would laugh too, as loud as he possibly could it seemed. It was a lot of fun taking him out and I loved having the chance to go to the movies! I don't think we'll do it much, it seems like a lot of "tv" watching for one day. But it was something special to do and I loved watching him as he experienced a movie for the first time. Oh and it was pretty economical: his admission was free since he's under 3 and we shared the Kid's Combo which was a tray with a small drink (for me, I brought a sippy cup with juice for him), popcorn and fruit snacks (perfect size, thanks Holly for the suggestion!).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect date matinee! I love how excited Henry
is in this picture. It really must be so surprising and neat for little kids to go to the movies for the first time... the huge screen, the concession stand with all of the treats!!, sitting with lots of other people....so fun! After reading this and seeing Henry's face, I am really looking forward to my first date with Ben!
Love,
Erica

Holly said...

LOVE the picture of Henry doing his excited face for the big screen. Absolutely adorable. You and I had very similar weekends! I too went to see Horton Hears a Who, (except it was w/ my friend Sarah) and I also had a kids combo with fruit snacks! Hah! Really though, the kids combo is the best portion size! Sometimes I'm surprised that they will still sell it to me even though I'm not a kid, and have no kids w/ me when I order it! Hah! Cute post! :) I definitely thought Patrick was going to be your date when you told me earlier you had had a date night! Nice surprise! :P

Sara said...

So cute! Was that a good movie? We were thinking about taking Gabe; I thought he might like it.

Love you guys,

Sara

Anonymous said...

Aliyah, Malcolm, my mom and I went to see it also this past weekend...i thought it was super cute! Malcolm is that loud talker too! when someone fell in the movie, he said, "that hadda hurt", then switching to the other character said, "I'm okay, I'm okay" it was cute!!!! funny picture of henry too!

Amber

Unknown said...

I love it! My mom and I were just chatting about this as a possibility for Kaylee's first movie. So it's nice to have had a "review" of the movie and experience with someone the same age as Kaylee. This could be a side job for you :) Love the pic of Henry too! Sooo funny! Love, Steph

Anonymous said...

I just want to say, "breathe, Henry, breathe!" He gets so excited! I just love the wonder factor about Henry. He's my precious little angel. I wish I could have been with the two of you. I'm glad you had so much fun! Love, Mom (Oma)