Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

Not as sweet as you'd think

In the past couple of weeks Henry has really taken a liking to William. He's never seemed to dislike him; in fact, he's always been sweet towards him showering him with endless kisses in those first weeks, to putting toys next to him in the swing, and always asking me William's whereabouts if he wasn't in the room with us (i.e. in his own crib). Now however, he just always wants William around and likes for him to be included in whatever we're doing. It is sweet that he wants to lay William down next to his cars to play parking garage with us or on his pillow to take a nap with him, however impractical that is.

The part that's not so sweet is that Henry is now waking William up from his naps so that he can be with us. Gasp! Yesterday when he woke up from his nap he asked me the usual, "where's Wee-yum?" And I told him that William just went down for his nap and will need to rest for a little while. He seemed content with that response and we came downstairs to play. A few minutes later he asked again, "where's Wee-yum?", and I reminded him to which he replied, "we wake him up?". No, no dear Henry, he needs to sleep. A few minutes later I ran quickly to the bathroom and as I'm washing my hands I hear in a sweet little voice over the monitor, "Hi, hi, hi Wee-yum. You wake up Wee-yum?" As I ran upstairs hoping to salvage William's nap, Henry excitedly looks at me and says "Wee-yum's awake, look see his eyes!". He sure was awake and didn't end up going back down. It ended up being a long afternoon with a bit of a cranky, tired baby. It's like what do you do? I didn't want to break Henry's sweet spirit of love for his baby brother by disciplining him too much for waking him up; however I did try to explain that the reason mommy had to now hold William so much was because he was tired and that in the future we really need to let him sleep until we hear him wake up.

Then today as William was almost asleep in his crib, I was in the kitchen just cleaning up our dishes from breakfast and again hear Henry on the monitor. He quickly returned downstairs and William got really quiet again, so I thought he went to sleep. When he started crying a few minutes later I went upstairs to find several stuffed animals in his crib with him. Apparently Henry thought he needed some company and knew from yesterday that it couldn't be him.

2 comments:

Sara said...

OMG, that is too funny. Although, I know I probably wouldn't be really laughing in that moment either. It's really fun once they start interacting, though. Gabe used to run into Caleb's room in the morning and say "good morning, Cay Cay!" Fortunately, he was usually already awake. :-)

I love the video, too - so adorable. He's a little wild man.

Love you guys,

sara

Anonymous said...

Henry sounds like such a great big brother!!