Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

Henry's last day of school and parade

Monday was Henry's last day of school! He has really grown and changed so much in the past several months. He started school last October, just a few weeks before William was born. He still seemed so little so me then. I definitely still felt like he was my baby. When I dropped him off at school that first Monday, my eyes were filling with tears before I even left the building; once I got into my car and closed the door I burst into tears. I composed myself enough to go to Wal-Mart to do some grocery shopping but got teary again watching other mothers shop with their children in their carts. I counted down the minutes until I could pick Henry up and when I went into his classroom to get him, he was smiling, happy and so proud to show me the picture he made. We decided to try it another week and even though the first few Mondays Henry had a hard time saying "goodbye" to me too as I dropped him off, he was always so happy when we picked him up and was so excited to tell us about school. He's grown so much and is such a big boy. Now when I drop him off, he hugs me and walks into his classroom carrying his backpack usually greeting his teachers and settling into a center. He especially loved playing with the rice/water table. He talks about his "friends" at school and usually says "hello" to them, too when we walk into his classroom. Several times over the past few months he will start singing different songs that I haven't ever sung to him and I know he must have learned them at school. He beams with pride when I ask him about them! His hands-down favorite song is "The Wheels on the Bus". We sing that at home, too but I know it's a classroom fave. We have been really happy with the program that he's in and I think it has been perfect for him.
Henry on his first day of school - 10.1.07Henry before his school parade. Henry on his last day of school - 5.19.08 He has definitely changed so much! Henry in his classroom on his last day. It was "Beach Day" and the children got to wear their swimsuits. Since it was raining that morning his teachers brought the pool and a beach umbrella inside and they filled the pool with a little bit of water. When I picked up Henry his teacher told me that he was in the pool the very longest of anyone and that he didn't get out until he absolutely had to get out. He loved it! My mom was visiting us and after school we took Henry to Culver's to celebrate his last day. He loves going to this particular Culver's because they have a huge aquarium in the dining room.
Henry and Oma checking out the fish. William just hanging out in between bites of green beans.


On Thursday Henry's school had a last day parade and all of the children paraded around the school on the sidewalk. Henry seemed thoroughly confused and unenthusiastic about the whole thing, but he was a good sport and went along with it. Here is he parading, holding Miss. Jennifer's hand (she was one of Henry's two teachers). Each class has a matching t-shirt that their teacher's decorated for them. It's very cute: tye-dyed yellow with a sponge-painted sunshine. They also gave all of the children matching star sunglasses and he chose green, but he decided not to wear his.

1 comment:

Jeanie Bree said...

Henry's school looks like so much fun! You have found the perfect fit for your little guy. It will be exciting watching him grow through his preschool years.