Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The new toy shelf

A few weekends ago when my mom was visiting we stopped by a yard sale just down my street. That's where we found the shelf below:
We negotiated the price and my mom bought it for Henry's room for $15! My vision was to repaint it, add some baskets for storage and voila a much-needed toy shelf. As we were asking about the "toy shelf" the woman having the sale said, "oh, you mean the doll house". Oops. Still I had a vision and could see it working in Henry's room. Henry helped with the painting of his new shelf, although after a few splatters of paint landed on the driveway, we decided to wait and finish during his nap.


My mom helped me paint the shelf and I found some red canvas baskets that are sturdy but soft so they won't scratch the paint off the shelves. Here's the finished product:


Henry demonstrating how the new baskets work. He loves having his foam blocks so accessible and plays with them a ton. It's also really easy for him to pick them up and put them away now. (Which is good because there are 100 of them!)
Henry took this picture! I like that it's from his perspective. I realize that it looks a little bit cluttered, but it's an organized clutter. I love having a place for everything and finally having his toys where they are accessible to him and not shoved into the closet. There are still a few things I'd like to do - 1. take pictures of each basket showing its contents and labeling it and them laminating the label and attaching it to the appropriate basket, I think using a clothespin. That way Henry will know what's in each basket and will be able to clean up his toys, and keep them organized. 2. I might paint the outer two sides of the shelf with magnetic and chalkboard paint. I'm not 100% sure, and magnetic paint is a little pricey, so for now it's done and is very useful.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That turned out adorable! I'm glad you found the boxes! I feel a major toy organization / purge coming on here. We're getting a little out of control with all the stuff we have!! It's crazy how much we've accumulated in three short years.

Erica said...

The shelves look great!!! I love the red baskets, and all of Henry's toys are so organized. It turned out really well. I love the before and after pictures.
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of putting pictures on the shelves, that is what we do at work....a tip, you can use velcro on the back of the pictures and on the bucket to attach them...they are a bit more secure then clothespins...just a thought! very cute shelf though!

Amber :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the shelves! My mom found a small bookcase last year at a garage sale for $5 that I repainted grey to match Nathan's room. It's so fun to repurpose something.
I also got one of those same bins for my sister in law's baby shower in green, and she liked it and got a few more!
I'm going to use that picture on the bins idea- I remember reading about that awhile ago, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!
Nice job!
-Sally