Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

Open Gym

A few months ago my friend Lori who has a son, Joey, that is Henry's age invited us to open gym at a nearby gymnastics academy. Henry absolutely loved it and spent most of his time bouncing on one of the many trampolines. Since then we've gone back several times, and Henry has progressively gotten braver and braver. There's a big pit with foam blocks that children can jump into, several large trampolines, a long running trampoline, a rope for climbing or swinging, hula hoops, huge balls and lots of other things. The floors are all cushioned and soft. Still Henry's favorite thing to is to bounce on the trampoline, although now he will jump from something on to the trampoline below. He also will jump from different platforms (all different heights) into the foam block pit. The trickiest part is helping him get out - I'm usually holding William and Henry gets stuck in there. I'm excited to see William play there once he starts moving some more. It only lasts an hour and initially I thought that wasn't very long, but I'll assure you that it is plenty of time. Henry is always sweating and worn out when it's time to go. I wish I'd discovered it sooner; it would have been a perfect way to break up the winter. I think I'm going to enroll Henry into a beginning gymnastics class this summer. I think he would love it.
Henry jumping from a big block on to the trampoline.




1 comment:

Jeanie Bree said...

We also have discovered open gym and love it!!!!