Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

heart aching for Haiti

earthquake
My heart just aches for the Haitian people; all of the men, women, children and babies who call Haiti home. For all of the missionaries and doctors there. For the families here who have little ones there that they are waiting to adopt. For the people here who have family there.
It's devastating. Watching the news, seeing the fallen buildings, the injured people, the people without homes and clothing and water. The very poorest of people who now have even less.
All while I sit here in my warm, cozy house with more than I need. More clothes than I need or wear. More food than we eat. More stuff. So much stuff that there's boxes of stuff in the basement. It starts to feel like too much stuff.
I want to help. To teach Henry and William about compassion and how important it is to help other people. Part of the parent in me wants to shield their eyes from the suffering that's happening there and is on newscasts on the tv. But another part wants them to understand that there are people in the world who are hurting and who need to be shown love and compassion. It is so heartbreaking.
We're praying for the people there and also trusting God, who loves them and who created them, to take care of them and to bring them through this devastation and that his name will be glorified there. And also asking him what part we can play in helping there.
I want this reminder of how blessed I am to sink in and remain with me. I truly have more than I need. I don't want to forget that and get sucked back into wanting more and more.
I feel thankful that my sweet little boys are warm and safely tucked into their beds and that our family is safe and together and warm and fed.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Amen.

Thank you for sharing your heart and prayer.
Love you,
Erica

Unknown said...

I so agree with you on this! Everytime I see something on this my heart breaks even more. Yesterday I was looking at a news story on it and there was a little girl who was rescued but passed away. Her photo was at the top and Kaylee asked me about her and I was explaining that some people were very hurt and others even died. She asked if this girl died and it was so hard to keep it together to say yes. It just seems so unimaginable! I too find it a great time to reach out to others and be thankful for what we have.

Sara said...

It has been so heart-wrenching to watch the whole thing unfold...definitely adds some perspective as I find myself complaining about the usual things...things that definitely don't matter when compared to the devastation they are experiencing.

Holstix said...

You are such a compassionate and loving person. Thank you for being such a thoughtful soul. Our world needs more people like you in it.