Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

wanted : an entry table

found : an entry table
January - 2010 708
I've had the decorating/re-decorating itch b i g time. I've been tearing pages out of the Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs catalogs and have a "wish list" that's an inch thick. One of those things on that list is a table to be put near our front door to create a little entry space. A place for keys, purses, and mail. We really have no formal entry way, and I wish we did. That would be the best option. But option number two is creating the illusion of one. And I thought a table might help.

On Friday, Henry was home from school and we declared a pj day. While the boys were playing peacefully in the living room, I was daydreaming about a table. Where in our house did we have a table that would be a good fit? Then it occurred to me. My nightstand. Without thinking it through, I went upstairs, got my nightstand, brought it downstairs, got some black paint from the basement, a paintbrush and spread a huge flattened box out on top of the dining room table. I started painting, sort of hoping the boys wouldn't notice.

They did notice. It turned into a bit more of a fiasco than I'd imagined. Although I really hadn't imagined it or thought about it. But I'm happy about it. And I'm glad for a new coat of paint and a little switcheroo. I like having a little table by our front door.

January - 2010 688
No time for painting shirts, they grabbed brushes and went to work.
January - 2010 691
January - 2010 696

6 comments:

Sara said...

OOOOHHHH...I love it!! It looks so warm and inviting with the lamp, too. Good work!

Erica said...

LOVE it!! The table looks great there. You were very creative and eco-friendly, and I like how spontaneous you were about the whole thing. The boys look like they're enjoying this home project.

Job well done!

Love you,
Erica

Amy said...

I love it!!!!!!!!!!! The black looks awesome and brings out the detail. I'm inspired Christina, really! I would never have been that impulsive. :-) ~Amy

Holstix said...

My house would have black paint all over the place... You are one awesome mom! Love the new table and it looks perfect for the spot.

Unknown said...

What a fun project and great way to get something from your wish list - it came out great! Definitely must have been those little helpers special touch too :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you let the boys help. The table is perfect there.
love ya,
Sandi