Pages

Friday, January 08, 2010

snow day

Yesterday we woke up to several inches of snow. And it was still falling.
January - 2010 197
Henry woke up first. He and I turned on the tv to check the cancellations. Everything was closed, including both school districts in our town, which meant his school was closed too.
Then William woke up and they looked outside. Our street wasn't plowed and the neighbors were just starting to come out to shovel.
January - 2010 204
January - 2010 215
January - 2010 213
January - 2010 216
After breakfast I brought the boys upstairs to play while I cleaned out Henry's dresser. We have been shoving clothes and pajamas into his drawers for way too long. It was time to weed out the clothes that no longer fit. Henry found his LA Lakers jersey and shorts in a summer clothes pile. He put them on over his pjs and wore this outfit for the remainder of the day.
January - 2010 227
January - 2010 222
Later I took out a cookbook to find a soup recipe to make for dinner. Henry was very interested in the cookbook so I found a kid's cookbook I had for him. Then William got very interested so I took out another kid's cookbook that was mine when I was a little girl {the inscription is from my Dad and Sandi, Christmas of 1988}.
Henry wanted to make something. All of the recipes in his cookbook call for "refrigerated sugar cookie dough" (the already made store bought kind) and we didn't have any and I didn't think he {or I} would have the patience to make dough from scratch and then let it sit in the fridge for two hours. So we decided on brownies. I found a recipe on the back of our Hershey's cocoa box.
January - 2010 252
January - 2010 261
They turned out yummy. They were super sweet and chocolaty. Almost too sweet. I can't even believe I am typing those words, but it's true. But they were yummy.

Both boys liked doing the dishes after we made the brownies. They both tried so hard, but water spilled everywhere and they were wet. Once the brownies were done, they went upstairs bringing all of their favorite kitchen "toys" and took a soap-less bath. The no-soap was key. Henry thought it would only be fun if there was no soap. So they played. With just water. They didn't get washed and loved playing with measuring cups and spoons and a big plastic pitcher.
January - 2010 239
January - 2010 240
After their bath we came downstairs and had a huge hunk of brownie. Right before lunch. Bad timing, but good brownies.
It was a cozy day. Henry just had two weeks off school for Christmas vacation, but yesterday was special and unexpected. It was nice watching the snow from the inside, but not having to go anywhere or be out in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a special day! I love that you let the boys do the dishes and take a soapless bath! WHAT FUN!! Such a fun mommy! The brownies look delicious!! Glad you had that easy going day with your boys!
Love, Ruth

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such fun! Makes me nostalgic for those kinds of times I used to have with Cory. Your pictures are so cute. I love the jersey over the PJs.
love ya,
Sandi

Erica said...

PERFECT way to spend a snow day

I love that feeling of being cozy inside while it looks like a winter wonderland outside.

You are such a sweet, fun mommy and made an indoor day wonderful!
Love you,
Erica