Pages

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Deceptively Delicious

I just watched our DVR'd Oprah from yesterday when her guest was Jessica Seinfeld. I'm so excited about it. She purees all sorts of different veggies and puts them into everyday/kid friendly meals and DESSERTS! One example is her macaroni and cheese....she blends in either butternut squash puree or cauliflower puree and voila the veggies are hidden in there and her kids automatically get the veggies they need but may not otherwise eat. I was just stressing out the other day about Henry not eating enough veggies, so this is really the right time for me to hear this message. She even has a recipe for brownies (that Oprah swore were delish) with carrot and spinach purees in them!! I guess she purees one night each week and then stores the bags of pureed veggies in her fridge to use in her meals throughout the week. I'm thinking I will buy her cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, to give it a try. Oh, the big hitch that I am forgetting to mention is that these veggies are hidden, hence they swear that you can't even taste them in there. So some cauliflower doesn't ruin macaroni and spinach doesn't ruin the brownies. They say it just enhances them....ok she even has a recipe for putting beets in a chocolate cake that looks so yummy.

Here's a link to some of her recipes from Oprah's website:
http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/food/jseinfeld/recipes/jseinfeld_recipes_main.jhtml?promocode=HP23

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that show yesterday too! I want to buy the book and try to get Bret to eat vegetables too! Ha ha!! How are you feeling?
Love,
Erica

Sara said...

Dan was home with the boys yesterday while I was at work and also mentioned this to me. Which made me ask, "you watch Oprah while I'm at work?"




:-)

Anonymous said...

Kinda sounds like our zucchini stuff - chocolate zucchini cake, brownies, bread, muffins. Of course, when you add that much sugar does it cancel out the veggie advantage. Who cares. It tastes good
Love,
Sandi

Holly said...

The only qualm I have about sneaking in the pureed veggies is the thought that this enables kids to choose to say no to veggies in their whole and natural state. What I'm trying to say is, do you have to puree their vegetables and sneak them in thier food forever? When will they bridge the gap and eat the real thing?

Amy Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.