Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Welcome William!











We are so thrilled that William Edwin has arrived! (Thank you Sara for updating about his arrival last Friday.)
Here's some labor details...we went into the hospital at 8 am for a scheduled induction. I was feeling nervous and jittery, but really excited to know that we would be having our baby that day. They wanted to move things along quickly for me, so by 8:30 my pitocin was started and we were all checked in and ready to go. My doctor came in a little after 9:00 am and the plan was that she would break my water and really get things moving along. When she examined me in preparation for that, she looked at the nurse and I could tell something was awry. She told me that she wasn't feeling the bag of waters or head of the baby, so the nurse went to get the ultrasound machine. As soon as she put it on my belly and his little picture popped up on the screen, she again looked at the nurse (the same look) and then looked at me and said, "your baby is transverse", meaning he was lying side-to-side. His little head was on the left side of my belly with his back stretched out and legs across to the right side. I was still all smiles thinking, ok, he'll just turn. She went on to say that it was dangerous to leave him that way because if things did progress on their own and my water were to break on its own, he could be in danger and that they would need to get him out asap. I still naively thought (or maybe hoped) we could get him out naturally.
She explained that I would have to have a c-section and that he would be born by 10:00 am. I was shocked and scared all at once and burst into tears. Patrick was a pillar of strength and did his best to comfort me as he got his scrubs on for the surgery. I walked back to the OR which felt very "Grey's Anatomy" to me. I got a spinal block and the doctors started surgery asap. The only problem I had was that my spinal hadn't totally taken effect when they started and I was feeling some incisional pain. Because of that I was given more meds which didn't put me totally under, but I was pretty out of it. The c-section started around 9:45 according to Patrick and William was born at 9:53 am. Things definitely did move fast. I sadly cannot remember the moment of his birth or when Patrick says they showed him to me. That's the saddest thing of it all for me. However, the blessing is that he is here and that he is healthy.

We are truly blessed. Henry came to meet him on Friday afternoon and showered him with kisses. He couldn't believe that his brother had finally come "out". It's wonderful to have two precious little boys. I couldn't feel more fortunate.

1 comment:

Sara said...

We are so happy William is here and that everything went well! It's amazing to see how God helped everything work out the way that it should!

Love you guys...

Sara