Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

half

January - 2011 084
{This was my long run tonight. Book is Decision Points by George W. Bush. I love reading and running. I am enjoying this book and really respect the former President. An interesting tidbit; George W. Bush ran a marathon in Texas and finished in 3 hours 44 minutes. A really respectable and darn fast time!}
Last year, in May, I checked something off my resolutions list. But not by myself; together with my brother Dan and husband Patrick {who by the way, really really dislikes running}, I ran a half marathon. It was an exhilarating experience, and to be honest one that after four months of training, I almost didn't complete. We moved into the farmhouse in May, just days before the race. I lost a lot of steam and most of my gusto. The move was emotionally and physically exhausting and I just felt depleted. Spurred on by my family and sheer will to finish something I'd started, I put in one last long run the weekend before the 1/2. Eleven miles. They felt good. My body was healthy and I felt excited to run this race I'd been training for all of those months. Race day was amazing. I ran side by side with my brother and we crossed the finish line together being cheered on by our family. After that Dan went on to train for and run the Chicago Marathon last October. Watching him train and run and using it all to glorify God has inspired and motivated me.

So here we are again, in a new year. I'm going to do it again. Dan is training for the Rockford 1/2 Marathon again and I'm committing to run it too. {Although maybe not by his side. Brother is getting pretty fast.}

1 comment:

Sara said...

(This is Dan)
Awww, thanks for the kind words, Chris. I'm super glad you're training for Rockford again! I'm not so sure that we won't be running together...You're getting pretty fast, yourself!