Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

honorable mention {1}

2010 was a big year. It was a year of change and growth. I became a farm girl. My boys became farm hands. They turned 5 and 3. There were significant birthdays, birthday parties, family vacations, a move into the farmhouse and bidding farewell to our beloved house on Leland. It was a good year and there are a few things that still deserve a mention. An honorable mention, if you will.

So I will start here, with the Rockford Half Marathon {May 16, 2010}, since I mentioned it a few days ago. Last year, at the start of the new year, I decided to try something I'd always wanted to attempt, but never really dared to try; the half marathon. I found a training plan and began to run. It was an encouragement knowing that Patrick, Dan and Erica were doing the same training and working toward the same goal. During my runs I learned to trust God more; to lean on Him when I was fatigued and felt like I couldn't go on. He revealed to me through physical metaphors during my runs the places in my heart where I needed to trust in Him more and lean on Him There were points of absolute clarity during my long runs particularly where the moment I began to shift my eyes off God and onto my own goals and feeling of personal achievement, I became weary and felt the physical fatigue and pain. I grew to understand that my health is a gift and that being able to run without injury was a gift.

Hebrews 12:1 became an encouragement for me. Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
And so on a bright, clear morning last May, we lined up at the start and ran the race. 
marathon.13
marathon.9
marathon.6
marathon.14
marathon.7
marathon.8
marathon.3
marathon15
marathon.1
At the start you literally hear the pounding of thousands (I think, thousands?) of feet. Volunteers fill water stations and hand out water and Gatorade to thirsty runners. People come out of their homes to cheer on the runners passing through their neighborhoods. Our family was there. They cheered at the start and at the 3-mile mark, and waited for two long hours to cheer us through the finish. I loved running it by my brother's side. We were about the same pace and were able to spur each other on. Patrick crossed the finish line with William in his arms. He grabbed William just before crossing. He injured his knee a week or so before the race and was in pain after running his pace for about 8 miles. He was determined though and crossed the finish line limping. We missed Erica and Bret who weren't able to fly in from New York that weekend.

It was an amazing experience. I guess I liked it because I'm going to run it again this year. Mostly my goal is always to finish. But secretly, deep down, I would love to shave a few minutes off my time.
{A very special thank you to Sara who took all of these pictures of that day.}

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm still so proud of all of you for doing this last year - and it all started with your resolution, really! :-)

Glad to hear you are doing the half again - we will be there to cheer you all on!

Love you,

Sara

Erica said...

I'm SO proud of you guys too! I love these pictures of this wonderful accomplishment! Now you'll need a new bumper sticker after this year's half.... 13.2 x2!!!!

So proud of you!!
Love you!

And I can't believe you can run and read at the same time! That's impressive!