Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

staying busy scooping

Isn't it a fact? The winter months are long. Wishing them away hasn't been working, so we've been busy finding other ways to get through them.
One thing that William loves to do is spoon and pour. This is something I learned from my days as a Montessori teacher.
I started with a big bag of lima beans and also a box of noodles, but used them separately. Then I thought I'd mix up the textures and combine them. And then for a pop of color, I added the pom poms.
February - 2010 553
I take out a variety of spoons and bowls.
February - 2010 568
He especially likes big spoons, like this,
February - 2010 547
and fun spoons, like my coffee scoop. (the ones he doesn't get to use often.)
February - 2010 562
Wishing this was really ice cream with a cherry on top!
Picnik collage

5 comments:

Holstix said...

This is too funny! I just did the exact same thing with the kids yesterday and was about to post it myself :) They had a picnic with their babies/animals and made them food! Your creation looks much better, though ;)

Erica said...

William looks so cute as he scoops!
Such a great idea to mix the noodles, beans, and pom poms for different textures and colors. Thanks for all of the wonderful winter activities!

Keep 'em coming!
Love you,
Erica

Unknown said...

My girls love "digging" too. I found some small, plastic animals in a dollar bin, and sometimes we "dig" for treasures, i.e. animals. Another fun thing is to make cookies with M&M's and then use toothpicks, or small play silverware to be archeiologists (sp?) and get the M&M's out as you would a dinosaur bone.

Sara said...

This is such a clever idea. We've done pasta before (on your recommendation), but I like the idea of mixing things. Fun and novel!

Amy said...

I'm going to be doing this with Jacob on Monday while Daniel is in school and the weather turns gross again. Such an awesome, yet extremely simple idea! Thanks for sharing ~ Amy