Pages

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

thank you for being a friend

A few weeks ago I woke up to this text message from Holly in my inbox:
"Thank you for being a friend,
Traveled down the road and back again,
Your heart is true you're a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party,
Invited everyone you knew
You would see, the biggest gift would be from me
and the card attached would say,
Thank you for being a friend."

It made me smile and I spent the rest of the morning humming the Golden Girls theme song!
In December, before the madness of Christmas starting encroaching, Holly threw an amazing party; a Holly-Days party. It was a delicious mid-morning brunch and Christmas ornament gift exchange. Remember this? She did it again. But this time it was in December, and for the holidays and none of us were quite as tan. The party was just as fun and amazing though.

The table was set, the candles lit,
come on in,
November - 2009 307
November - 2009 308
November - 2009 321
November - 2009 326
November - 2009 545
November - 2009 306
November - 2009 298
November - 2009 305
November - 2009 302
I have to admit, right after Thanksgiving I wanted to switch gears and start thinking about Christmas, but I was having trouble mustering up that Christmas spirit. This party was the very first weekend of December and was just what I needed to start feeling excited about Christmas. It was all of the things I love about the holidays: family, friends, laughter, warmth, exchanging gifts and
delicious food.
The menu was so so good. I thought I'd been transported to an all-inclusive breakfast paradise. Fresh fruit, three different varieties of quiche, freshly baked cranberry coffee cake, amazing asparagus, hashbrowns and a salad that still makes my mouth water just thinking about.
She is the amazing cook behind all of those delicious things,
November - 2009 292
The amazing Delcine, mixing up some the salad (that mouthwatering one).
November - 2009 358
The fruit selection.
Seriously, my favorite part of all-inclusive vacations is the fruit. It's fresh and cut and limitless. This fruit brought me that same all-inclusive joy.
November - 2009 295
I love these party picks.
And look at these oranges. They're sliced just right, perfectly placed and sprinkled with berries.
And the quiche,
November - 2009 342
Three different kinds. I tried all of them. Equally delicious.
November - 2009 347
November - 2009 345
November - 2009 346
Chopped apples, candied pecans-handmade by Delcine. You know those nut sellers that come to the malls around Christmastime? Those smell and taste so great, right? These were even better. I'll say it again, Delcine is seriously talented!
November - 2009 350
The asparagus.
November - 2009 446
Rachel and her mom, Regina.
November - 2009 354
Rachel and Holly

Holly thinks of every detail,
November - 2009 615
like this "Holly Jolly" ribbon,
November - 2009 611
tied around these hand baked biscotti.
November - 2009 333
And this drink station, complete with a selection of fresh coffee, creamer (all of our favorite CoffeeMate flavors), apple cider, juice and ginger ale.
November - 2009 328
And these coffee mugs. Each guest chose one to use during brunch and then Holly washed it and put it in a pretty package for us to take home.
November - 2009 329
How cute are these water bottles with personalized labels. Holly made these, too!

We did an ornament exchange.
Everyone brought one, wrapped ornament. And we did a white-elephant style exchange.
Holly said there was one very serious rule, no playing nice. You have to steal if you want something. Mostly people did play nice, but there were a few trades.
November - 2009 319
November - 2009 316
November - 2009 460
Rachel chose this wrapped package. It was the one my mom brought. She splurged and did a complete "set" of 5 ornaments. This was one of the most sought after gifts. It got traded 3 or 4 times and Rachel's mom ended up going home with it!
November - 2009 457
Sally and her darling baby Allison.
November - 2009 520
Rachel and Melisa.
I love this picture. I can't remember what was so funny, but this makes me smile!

There was one last surprise in store,
November - 2009 385
Delcine created a "Holly Days" holiday earring collection just for this party.
This was Regina's reaction:
November - 2009 386
There was also an audible shriek. I told her it reminded me of the audience on Oprah's "Favorite Things" show.
November - 2009 388
November - 2009 527
We each chose a pair of earrings. Perfect for wearing on Christmas and to holiday parties!
Thank you Holly for hosting such a fun and memorable party. It was just what I needed to start feeling excited for Christmas and all of the busyness that comes with it.
November - 2009 535
Holly, Sally, Allison and Delcine
And thank you Delcine for the delicious food, the beautiful earrings and the fun and warmth that only you can provide.
November - 2009 516
November - 2009 514
November - 2009 512
Allison is the sweetest little baby girl. I just love her sweet little cheeks and cheerful, content disposition. And she loves her Grandma!
November - 2009 590
She was worn out after a busy morning.
November - 2009 544
Me and my mom, accidentally matching.
November - 2009 643
Holly and Melisa.
And one more, because I couldn't resist...
November - 2009 650
I love these two!

9 comments:

Sara said...

Looks like so much fun! Another fantastic Hoeninger party!

Sara said...

...and now I'm in the mood to watch Golden Girls!

Ruth said...

What a wonderful party! Love all of her decorations, the food looks awesome and all the cute little touches she added to make it so special! What a special friend you have Christina! Love, Ruth

Erica said...

Such a sweet text! You are blessed to have such a special friend.

Holly throws AMAZING parties! How do I get on the list? :-)
The pictures of the food are making me very hungry.
Love the ornament white elephant game idea!

Fun, Fun!
Love you,
Erica

Holly said...

I am so glad you could come up for the Christmas fun!!! It was a fun time and would not have been the same without you. Thanks for doing this sweet post. You are my #1 fan, which is why you will forever be my best friend. Miss you! Looking forward to seeing you soon! Oh and wait until I show this to my mom! She's going to LOL about that last photo! :)

Delcine said...

Hi Christina, again, you have presented such a beautiful story with your great blogging talents and photographic passion which you are so good at. I think you have a future in journalism for a women's magazine or online website for women. You have a gift and do it so well. We will keep having parties if you keep doing the journalism on them. Thanks for all of your kind words and for appreciating the food and all of the other things at the brunch. I told Holly we probably will do another birthday party this year, even tho the last one almost did me in! Will I ever learn?
Maybe this year we will simplify...
impossible I think.

Love ya,
hoping for winter to be over soon too!
Del
PS I rather like the blue hat. Thanks for capturing that glamour shot. ha lol

Anonymous said...

Holly could give Martha Stewart a run for her money.
love ya,
Sandi

Rachel said...

I love it!!! What a fun and jolly day this was! Crazy too! Remember the show and the jewelry for my party? :) All in all, greatfood and great fun with great friends. Miss you!

Sally said...

I love the new Christmas Brunch Tradition to kick off the season. :) That was yummy and fun, with all the girls! I would LOVE copies (or the files) of the pics with Allison and/or me in them (especially that one with my mom and sister too). You are great at capturing all the beautiful details Christina.