Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

this little monkey

climbs out of bed!
February - 2010 471
On Sunday (2.14.10), I read to William and tucked him in for his nap.
When I was reading to Henry I heard William's door open and close. That was weird; I thought maybe it was my mom going in to check on him. Then it opened and closed again.
And again.
And again.
Henry held the page for me and I jumped up to see what was happening in William's room. To my surprise I found William standing at the door.
The same William I had just tucked into his crib.
He wasn't crying. Or hurt. Just standing at his door. He was not in his crib.
Shocked at the sight, I tucked him back in. He didn't end up napping that day, but he stayed.
The past few days have been umm, well, interesting. He's safely able to climb in and out of his crib. He and Henry play in there. They play so nicely together in there with tons of pillows and animals. And it's really cute.
boys in crib
This game, however, is not.
Step 1: I read to William and tuck him in.
Step 2: William leaps out of bed and runs around his room.
Step 3: I hear his pitter-pattering feet and run upstairs.
Step 4: He "hides" behind his rocking chair.
Step 5: I try to be serious and stern with him about getting into his crib.
Step 6: He laughs at me. (not with me; at me.)
Step 7: I put him into his crib tuck him in.
Repeat steps 3-7, until he runs out of steam.
Today we only played one round. It's getting better and better.
I wasn't ready to transition him to a big-boy bed, but I think he is ready. And I'm trying to see the bright side; when he is in a bed, hopefully we won't have to relearn all of this tucking and staying. I pray he will just stay put!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gabi moved to a big bed back in July (only because of needing the crib for Logan and I wanted her to get used to it before he came along), and she has always stayed in bed until recently. She started climbing out at nap time and coming into the living room, which I was okay with. But then she did it once in the middle of the night and came into our room. It scared the crap out of me! Now she has a childproof knob cover on the inside of her door, so she has to stay in her room, until she gets that one figured out...

Erica said...

I still can't believe he can climb in and out with no problem. He is a little monkey! :-)
You are taking all of this with great patience, Christina. I hope William decides he would rather sleep than climb.

Love you!
Erica

Sally said...

My kids have always been good sleepers so they stayed in bed when they were in the "big boy" bed. You might try a "practice run" during the day after getting his new big-boy bed set up, to let him get used to the idea of staying in bed at bedtime so he knows what you expect. I hope it goes well; he might love it!