Pages

Monday, December 10, 2007

Post # 7 - Let the Christmas baking begin

As I write this post I have a batch of caramels brewing (they're not baking really) on the stove. Maybe simmering or boiling is a better word?? Anyway, Holly and Sara, you know how finicky this recipe is. I have this recipe from my mother-in-law for the most delicious homemade caramels, like melt-in-your-mouth good. But it's really finicky.
Here it is:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup Karo light syrup
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Stir together sugar, Karo syrup and 1/2 cup cream in a saucepan and bring it to a boil at 238 degrees s-l-o-w-l-y. Once it's reached 238, add 1/2 cup cream and bring it to 238. Once that has reached 238 add the final 1/2 cup of cream and bring it to 238. Beat it with a spoon and refrigerate overnight. Cut into 1 inch square and wrap individually with wax paper.

So it's a super easy recipe, but my mother in law emphasized bringing it to 238 slowly so much that the first year we made these I think 1 batch took me 3 hours! Then last year we made them at our annual cookie baking day and for some reason none of the batches turned out. They were all too liquidy and runny even after being in the freezer overnight. So this year, I'm really taking my time, they're on the very lowest heat on the stove and I'm stirring them occasionally but doing other things while I wait for them to boil at that temp. I want them to turn out! I wish I could post the actual caramels on here for you to taste. They're so good. Keep your fingers crossed that they turn out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe - I bought all the stuff for it at Costco last weekend (huge thing of heavy cream), but I couldn't remember the recipe. Mine also did not turn out last year, so we'll see!

Anonymous said...

That was from me; not sure why my username won't show up...

Holly said...

I am having happy memories or our holiday bake-a-thon days at your mom's. I'm actually sad she sold her condo. :(

Christina said...

Yay! They turned out! I just made my second batch with a bit more confidence. The only problem is that I let them get to the "soft crack" temp on my thermometer during the 2nd heating instead of the "soft ball". So this batch is going to be iffy. We'll see. Anyway, I'm thrilled that the first ones turned out. Patrick is already eating them from the freezer by the handfulls, so we'll see how many of those I can give away!

Anonymous said...

I may try a batch tonight, we'll see. I noticed I have Heavy Whipping Cream - do you think that's the same?

Also, can you send me the Ritz mint thins recipe?

Love you!