Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2007

What would you do with $2411?

We're going to fix our car. Fortunately, insurance is covering this bill.

It has just been one of those days. Our dryer broke a few weeks ago, it's not really broken-just the switch that makes it turn on has fallen off. And then just a few days ago Patrick went downstairs while the washer was running and water was pouring out of it and wasn't draining out of the machine. It seems that our washer has broken, too! In the meantime our laundry has been piling up and now we're running out of things, so this morning I decided to take the boys out to Patrick's parents house for the day so that I could do a few loads of laundry there. On my way there, on the last country road before their country road, I hit a dog. Yes, you read that right-a dog. I was driving along probably going 55 mph and all of a sudden a dog was literally standing in front of my car. I didn't swerve or even brake-I didn't have time, I just hit it. I was shaking and so upset that I just kept driving to Patrick's parents house. Luckily Patrick was working today in a town near his parents house so he and Henry drove out separately to meet me there. Otherwise I know Henry would have said, "mommy, what was that big noise?". Uggg.

Once I got to their house, Patrick and I looked at the car and realized that not only was the front end missing some major pieces, but it was also dripping lots of fluid onto the ground. So Patrick drove the car into town and had an auto body shop look at it. They told him it had pretty extensive damage to the radiator and would need to be towed into our town for an auto body shop here to fix it. He also drove around looking for the dog and couldn't find him anywhere. But he did go door to door looking for the owner and found her to tell her the news. When he knocked on the door a little boy answered...so sad. They couldn't find the dog anywhere, so we thought maybe someone picked him up to take him to the vet. Patrick called the 2 nearby vet clinics and asked that if someone bring a dog by (and gave his description--the best that I could remember) to call and let us know.

The vet did call Patrick and tell him that someone brought in the injured dog and that they were checking him out. The auto body shop also called and let us know that our car's damages total $2400! And our car will be in the shop getting repaired for about a month. I just think it's crazy what a day can bring. It's not at all what I expected when I woke up this morning.

For all of you dog lovers, here's the real kicker. We later learned that Patrick's parents are friends with the dogs family. Patrick's dad just called us tonight and told us that the dog is PERFECTLY FINE. He has two small marks on his head from something scraping it (you think?) but other than that, no internal bleeding, no broken bones, NOTHING. Can you imagine? It's either a ghost dog or a robot dog made of steel. I'm so happy that it's fine. But I will say that I'm a little irritated that our car is so damaged from a little dog!!! Unbelievable.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe this happened to you! I didn't know this when I talked to you tonight! I'm glad the dog's OK, but that really stinks about your car! Who knew hitting a dog could do so much damage! You would have thought it was a deer or something! Well, at least everyone's OK.

Sally said...

What an unbelievable day you had!! I, too, am glad that everyone's ok. It's probably also really good, like you said, that Henry wasn't there- if he'd seen the dog, he might have been really upset! I could see Nathan getting upset at something like that too. Thank God for a husband who went and did all that after the incident as well- how nice that you didn't have to!

Holly said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I have three words for you: ALLEY PUPPY MAJOR!!! You just brought new meaning to our phrase!!! Christina, I cannot believe this happened to you today! And just a few days ago you were talking about how you should post about all of your car accidents. This one takes the cake! What a miracle! God surely spared that dog's life. Too bad He didn't spare your car from damage too! ha j.k. I am so glad the dog is ok, that way you can let go of any guilt you might have felt. Also, just know it wasn't your fault. I had a similar experience (much less traumatic though) when I hit a opossum on the way to Sally's when she was in labor with Blake! All I remember was seeing the 'possum and then the noise "duh dusch!" and I knew he was dead... Glad you're OK- this stinks, but makes for a great story! Love you, miss you!

Christina said...

Now I really feel like I have to blog about all of my accidents. Otherwise, it will be a mystery why one of my New Year's resolutions is to not get in any auto accidents. :-) I count myself blessed to have Patrick as a husband. He is so patient with me and never has gotten upset about any of my collisions - even the one with the house or our other car. He told me last night, "I'm just glad you didn't hit the horse" (!) His parents neighbors have a horse that we've seen roaming free by the street. I can't ask for anyone more patient or forgiving.

Jeanie Bree said...

Oh, Christina. God bless you and yoour sweet husband. Going through all that you have lately, and you both still have just postive attitudes. You inspire me.