Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

about mermaids

On the way to drop Henry off at school this morning we had a conversation about how fortunate we are to have the things we have. It started because as we backed out of the driveway I was scrambling around looking for my sunglasses; I noted how thankful I was to see the sun and said to the boys, "there's always something to be thankful for." This is while thinking to myself how much I dislike the winter cold. As we drove up the street I mentioned how fortunate we are to have such a warm house on these cold, cold days and I said that some people would be thankful to just have that.
Henry: But mommy, all I'm thankful for is new toys for Christmas.
Me:{thinking wow, my mini-lecture was just lost on him}
Well, it's only human to want to have nice, new things.
Henry: Mermaids don't want toys?
Me: {completely lost for the moment, then realized that he's asking that since I said it's "only human"}
No, I guess mermaids don't want new things.

3 comments:

Amy said...

That's awesome! I just love preschool conversations...where they come up with this stuff I'll never know! Too cute ~

Erica said...

Oh my goodness! Henry is such a clever boy!

Sara said...

Love it. How smart of him, though, really!