Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

let's make something: play-doh ornaments

Step 1:
Get out your Play-Doh and a rolling pin, if you like.
Dec - 2009 565
Step 2:
Find various holiday cookie cutters.
Dec - 2009 567
Step 3:
Roll out some Play-Doh, any color is perfect.
Dec - 2009 561
Dec - 2009 562
Or, just poke it with scissors. That's fine, too.
Dec - 2009 627
Step 4:
Use a cookie cutter to cut-out a holiday shape.
Dec - 2009 574
Dec - 2009 576
And a little cake batter tester to make a small hole for the ribbon.
Dec - 2009 583
Step 5:
Place cut shapes on a baking sheet.
Dec - 2009 595
And bake for various amounts of time at various heats. The goal is to make them hard, but my boys were growing anxious. So ours were somewhat "tender", after about 15 minutes in the oven.
Dec - 2009 618
Dec - 2009 622
Step 6:
Paint and decorate.
Dec - 2009 648
Dec - 2009 662
Dec - 2009 654
Dec - 2009 670
Dec - 2009 682
Step 7:
Add a ribbon for hanging.
Dec - 2009 729
Dec - 2009 732
Step 8:
Hang on the tree.
Dec - 2009 695
Ta-Da!
Enjoy your homemade,holiday ornaments!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I love the boys ornaments! Love, Ruth

Erica said...

What a terrific idea! I had no idea you could do this with play doh. We went to a friend's house last week, and she made dough with flour, salt, and such to make ornaments. Well, Sophie pulled it from the tree and ate a part of it! I think she would leave real play doh alone. I'm going to try this with Ben next week! Once I buy a Christmas cookie cutter. Ha ha! I'm always a step behind!

Love you,
Erica

Sara said...

Adorable! What a great idea. We might have to try this one, too!

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing this great idea! Now I have something to fill the days when Daniel is on school break next week. They boys will love it!
It was also great seeing that we're not the only family who has multi colored play-doh:-)...and girl, how do you keep your oven SO clean???
Merry Christmas! ~

Christina said...

Thanks, everyone! It's super simple. I was just over at the "whatever" blog and I had to laugh. Her ideas are amazing and make play doh ornaments look more like dog food for Sophie :-)
Anyway, Amy I can't rest until I say my oven is NEVER that clean. It's a brand new oven! haha! Our other one went completely kaput and we had to get a new one. Otherwise, trust me you would NEVER be seeing pictures of the inside. And you never may again!

Anonymous said...

We love ours. It is so much fun to get something that the boys have made. Thank you.
love ya,
Sandi