Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

lets make something: caramels

This super basic recipe is one of my favorites to make during the holidays. These caramels are a Vance family tradition. Patrick's mom, Mary, makes the very best caramels. They melt in your mouth. After a few Christmases with his family I was ready to try to make them myself. Now I, too, make caramels every year. And every year they are just as yummy as the year before. The thing about them is that they take a couple of hours to make and they don't turn out every time. The challenge of making them and the surprise at the end of whether we'll actually have caramels (or caramel sauce) is part of the fun. This year was my best yet; I made 5 batches and 4 of them worked. 1 batch was runny and didn't set. But FOUR did! I am thrilled!
If you want, I'll send you some to taste.
Or if you want to try them for yourself and take on the challenge, here's the recipe.
You will need:
December - 2009 171
December - 2009 174
December - 2009 178
and a
December - 2009 215
Directions:
December - 2009 188
Mix the sugar, Karo syrup and 1/2 cup of heavy cream together.
December - 2009 187
Be sure the burner is set on low. Low, low, low. {When giving me the recipe, Mary couldn't emphasize this enough.}
December - 2009 214
Bring the sugar mixture to a boil @ 238 degrees, slowly.
Add 1/2 cup heavy cream.

Repeat; bring to boil @ 238 degrees.
Notice how the color starts to change:
December - 2009 189
December - 2009 193
Add final 1/2 cup heavy cream and bring to 238 degrees.
December - 2009 224
When the mixture reaches 238 degrees (for the third time), remove from heat and beat with a spoon.
Then,
December - 2009 226
Put into the fridge to set. Mary's recipe says to leave it overnight. But typically the caramels will be set within a few hours.
December - 2009 230
When they're ready:
December - 2009 479
Cut wax paper into 4" squares.
December - 2009 482
Turn caramels onto a cutting board. This may require some force!
December - 2009 486
Cut them into bite-size pieces. This doesn't have to be precise!
I let Henry help; I gave him a small cutting board, the knife from his children's silverware set and a row of caramel. He loved making squares!
December - 2009 489
Wrap the caramels in the cut wax paper.
This last step is the most important...
Do a VICTORY DANCE!
If the caramels actually turn out, this is no small feat. It's a cause for celebration!
{I usually store these in the freezer, but that's another weird Vance thing. They put all of their cookies and goodies in the freezer. That's how they like them best.A little strange huh? A frozen chocolate chip cookie over a soft one? I'm sure the fridge would be fine too.}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, your dad puts everything in the freezer also. Do you remember getting cookies out of our freezer at Christmas time. Thanks for the recipe. We all love these carmels. I'll have to make some for Cory when he gets his braces off. He was disappointed to not be able to eat any for the past two years.
love ya,
Sandi

Holly said...

LOL! Just noticed the comment about the diet soda in the fridge! Just remember... would you rather be fat from sugar or poisoned with artificial sweeteners that cause cancer? :P

Erica said...

oohhh....I knew I forgot something! I wanted to try these when we came to visit!

Nice work, Bakerella Christina!!

Love you,
Erica