Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Our Christmas tree is up, the lights are turned on and the stockings are hung by the chimney with care.
I do love this time of year. I love the anticipation of Christmas and the joy in the weeks leading up to it. I love the Christmas lights and insist on leaving ours on morning, noon and night. I love the way the lights of the tree make the living room feel warm and cozy. I love rearranging our furniture and love that having a tree in our house gives us a reason to do it. I love this year's arrangement; it feels cozy and snug. I want to leave it that way, but our corner will be so empty once the tree is down. What else can we put there? I digress.
This year we waffled back and forth between going to the Christmas tree farm to cut down our own tree and picking one out at a nursery {that still counts as fresh, right?} We decided on the nursery: it's closer, warmer (that being a huge deciding factor), and fresh enough. Plus at the nursery we lucked out and Santa was there. We were happy with our decision and that lucky bonus. The boys had fun there, too. I told myself that they had just as much fun there as they would have at a real tree farm.
December - 2009 051
Last year I learned to relax about the way our tree looked. The boys love helping decorate, and it's fun letting them help. With their help comes clusters. Lots of clusters. Lots of clusters near the bottom of the tree.
December - 2009 050
An ornament cluster and part of the paper garland Henry made to help decorate the tree.
December - 2009 020
I like to hang wreaths on every door. I love these green and gold wreaths in the dining room. This picture turned out so blurry that I made it black and white.
December - 2009 055

December - 2009 038

December - 2009 036
I love this nativity scene. We got this set as a gift for our wedding. Call me a mean mommy, but I have been putting this on top of our armoire since the boys were old enough to crawl. I love it and want it to be a meaningful part of our Christmas decorations, but I also don't want it to get broken. The boys get to admire it from afar.
December - 2009 052
November - 2009 344
I also love our ornaments. I'm so fortunate to have parents who collected them for me when I was young and saved them each year until I was grown and had a tree of my own. We are trying to do the same thing for our boys now and buy them an ornament every Christmas; we try to find one that has some special meaning for the year. I love that each of our ornaments tells a story or reminds me of a special memory. It's fun unpacking the boxes of ornaments with the boys and telling them stories about them. {it's not all sunshine and roses, part of the unpacking involves lots of "no-no William" or "oops, William just broke another one"!}
November - 2009 419
We got this ornament on our first family vacation to Destin, Florida in October 2006.
November - 2009 416
I love this cute coffee mug my mom gave me last Christmas; it reminds me of my favorite coffee place. :-)
November - 2009 414
I gave the heart box ornament to Patrick for our first Christmas together, in December 2002. And he gave me the one to the right of the boy and girl sitting together. {Clearly that was him remembering my "natural" hair color"!}
November - 2009 413
We got this as a gift in December 2004, when I was only weeks pregnant with Henry.
November - 2009 412
Henry made this snowflake frame ornament when he was only two and in his first year of preschool. He was still such a baby! Homemade ornaments like it are my favorite kind. My mom made the adorable wooden block ornament for Henry when he was 1, December 2006.
December - 2009 024
This picture and the lighting is terrible, but I love these little trees. They're next to our armoire in our living room and add to the cozy glow in the room.
November - 2009 340

3 comments:

Erica said...

Your home is so cozy and festive. I love it! Thanks for sharing some of your ornaments with their stories. I liked seeing the ones you and Patrick exchanged :-) I need to be deliberate about this for Ben and choose ornaments that tell a story for that year rather than buying the generic 2009 one.... This is a special tradition, and can you imagine when the boys have their own trees someday and can share the ornaments you've gotten them? So sweet.

Love you!
Erica

Sara said...

Oooh...I would like to come over and snuggle up in your living room with all those beuatiful lights and decorations! (btw, I love those little trees, too).

Pretty pics!

Anonymous said...

I love your tree and I love the fact that you let the boys help decorate and that you leave "the clusters at the bottom"! It is BEAUTIFUL!! Love, Ruth