Pages

Thursday, February 03, 2011

good life.

This morning we woke up to a warm home, lights that flipped right on and coffee that was a brewin'. The sun rose high and promised a day full of light, shining on the piles and piles of freshly fallen snow and making the fields glitter like diamonds. All of that really does sound like the makings of a perfectly perfect morning. Snowed in for the 3rd day counting.
But I could feel that cooped up angst rising up in my chest. Snowed in for the 3rd day. And when I snapped at Patrick before 8 am for daring to suggest it was warm enough for me to take the boys outside to play, I knew that trouble was a brewin', right along with the coffee.
I read this, in Psalm 39
"Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span on my years is nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath. But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you."
Then I made this,
January - 2011 244
For them,
January - 2011 243
And a bunch of these,
January - 2011 245
for me.
I added this song to my playlist. And I've listened to it, oh, um, maybe 20 times today.
How fleeting really is my life. {Psalm 39) So, Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? {Mary Oliver}
Today it was simple; bake cupcakes, build a fort, fold a basket of laundry and be present with my children. Tomorrow it may be more grand, but I doubt it. There are always days of grandeur mixed in with the ordinary ones, but mostly my days will fill with laundry, dishes, dinner, minivan driving, story reading and bedtime tucking. I want to be sure to make the most of every moment God has given me in this one wild and precious life.
{By the way, Holly is back. Check out her post, and the link to her Etsy shop! }

2 comments:

Holly said...

Christina,
This post is so deep and yet simple at the same time. Talk about OXYMORON!!! What I mean is when we think about what we want to do with our one and only life we've been given, we want to do something BIG to make it matter and to do something grand for God. But in so many ways being present for the simple things: building a fort for your boys, spending time with them, baking cupcakes, doing the laundry- serving your family, enjoying the everyday ordinary moments and LOVING your family, cherishing the childhood of your precious boys you’ve been blessed with- in the end those simple things really do matter and by celebrating in those moments you are making very good use of the life God has given you- being the mother he has called you to be and investing yourself in those relationships. We could abandon these simple things for what we think is a grander plan, but in the end I feel we would miss out on these moments God has made for us. I guess what I’m trying to say is God can and does use us where we are at. We don’t have to GO anywhere extraordinary, BE somebody other than ourselves or DO something to validate our lives. Forgive the many run-ons in this comment. Hopefully I am making sense. What I meant to say is you are an excellent mother and wife and you are living a GRAND life of great purpose! Don’t ever think otherwise, even for one minute. Love this post and love you more! xoxo Holly P.S. Thanks for the shout out! ☺ P.P.S. If that cupcake were here in front of me I would devour it right now. P.P.P.S. Love the drapes! (and the Good Life song! I'm stealing it for my playlist)

jalison said...

You are EXACTLY where you are meant to be. And although I don't want to believe it, so am I. God has His eye on each of us - all of us - and sends His love, through so many blessings, forts and cupcakes and high-maintenance bosses too. Enjoy the day. I know I've said it before, but I believe it bears repeating: You won't pass this way again. I love you sis. I am proud of the mother you have become and the love you bestow upon your children. They are so blessed. Love, Mom